Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP ing along

Default WIP ing along

Some WIP shots of my first route - not actually my first but first serious attempt, I've been tinkering for a while. Decided to merge some of the stuff together (merging routes is ridiculously simple in TS2010) and get something I can upload.

Starting out in "Stupid Idea", test route for two way AI traffic, changed that around and merged it into this.

Did away with the diamond crossing since that was just an experiment to see if it could be done.

Crossing into "Da Belt", template to see what was available if i want to tackle the Chicago Belt Line.

Another shot of the alley elevated section.

Below is the first tracklaying attempt making a passing siding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (89.1 KB, 208 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (83.0 KB, 208 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (69.2 KB, 208 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (78.2 KB, 206 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (89.8 KB, 209 views)

Default Next

Out in the country now, starting to look familiar;

Could it be?

Oh yeah, PORT OGDEN & NORTHERN! This is an interpretation by someone named teleport8, was pretty much a pure representation of the original bookshelf trackplan until I got my greasy mitts on it.

Since I had to add tracks not in the original plans to connect to other railroads.
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (63.1 KB, 210 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (85.8 KB, 210 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (87.0 KB, 206 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (65.3 KB, 206 views)

Default Round and round

One exit from Da Belt goes into a later experiment called Yardwork, a mile long 12 track double ended yard I made to see if total interaction with AI trains was possible.

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showpo...88&postcount=2

It is.

Leaving the south end of the yard.

Transition runs along the other side of the harbor, Port Ogden visible in the distance.

And back into Stupid Idea.

Dunno when I'll have something ready for upload, probably Trainz version 1 of the Port Ogden & Chicago Metro in a month or two.

that looks really good sniper!

Wink Now why did my Rice Krispies just die?

Well, thankee thankee, we aim to please. Biggest to-do is the puzzle switch maze outside the former C&NW station ("Ogilve Center" nowadays) but eventually hope to have a "something for everyone" route, passenger express - commuter - elevated/subway/streetcar - Interurban - city belt line switching/way freights - rural switching - high iron heavy haulin' mountain freight train stuff all in one route. Eventually. Like the Port Ogden & Northern, the "Chicago Metro" is a fictional route, based on what might have been if the Interstate Expressway System back in the '50s hadn't killed all the US railroading.

Working on some reskins for that, found a bilevel push-pull scoot that works;

Even got a cab car for it, altho no cabview in it;

Might be able to convert to an engine and add some kind of cabview for the "push" part of the push-pull, we'll see how much trouble that is. Meanwhile found some modern CTA cars;

What I'd really like to find is interurbans like the North Shore and/or some old 4000 series CTA cars with the dual power trolley poles/third rail pickup shoes.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (59.7 KB, 170 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (82.7 KB, 170 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (54.1 KB, 170 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (77.1 KB, 170 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (76.4 KB, 171 views)

Default Hmmmm

One thing I gotta work out, I'm using the exact same #101BB2 blue I used in Railworks Chicago Metro skins;

But for some reason this seems to have some red creeping into it, maybe it's the lighting in the environment. Have to try resetting the environment lighting to #FFFFFF and see what that does.

What is going on with the white bilevel cab car roof in the last photo?

Talking "See how they run, see how they run"

That's the Three Blind Mice in the paintshop, they often miss stuff like roofs (and entire trains sometimes). Got it now;

Still trying to decide if I like the new shade better than the old, the original theme was a sort of Chicago Bears blue and orange. Orange has gone more red, and the blue has more red in it as well even with the sun and ambient light as white as it gets. Might turn out to be a better color scheme, nothing like serendipity.

Gotta put some kind of cabview into that cabcar, probably have to make it an engine to get working controls in it.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (72.2 KB, 148 views)

are you making this in the newest version of auran trainz?

Wink WIP me harder!

Dabbling with this and that in no particular order as the muse strikes me - Bill Burnett once asked how I avoid burnout, simple answer is when you get tired of doing something, do something else for a while until you get tired of something else and feel like going back to something.

Uploaded the six Alco RS3s last night, still working on the RSD5s on the far track. While I was at it, cloned and cloned again;

One each base model RS3 and RSD5 for Harbormaster and IndustRail, probably make 3 or 4 of each in the next week or two.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (92.9 KB, 126 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (91.0 KB, 127 views)