Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Default Windows 7

I want to get a raildriver but I read that there wasnt a driver available for windows 7 . But I also recall reading about a aftermarket driver of some sort for windows 7 users. I wanted to make sure I would be able to use it before I spend the money on it.
    Thanks
    Colin
    ---Colin Mucha---

Depends on the version of win 7 you have, while I haven't checked their website in awhile, they have 32bit drivers for RD for win 7, but not for the 64 bit OS, I use a beta from sometime ago with RD for RW that works most of the time. Sometimes it decides to not to work right. Do not know if its the unit or the driver.

not I can not use RD with MSTS on my win 7 64 bit O/S but it works great on my old win 98se system.

I have the 64 bit version unfortunatly. Thanks for the responce.
    ---Colin Mucha---

I was thinking, is it possible to use it using a windows 98 or windows xp compatibility setting?
    ---Colin Mucha---

Hi Colin,

What train sim are you interested in using the RailDriver with? The software for the RailDriver to work with each simulator is very different, so the situation for say, RailWorks is very different than the situation for Microsoft Train Simulator.

To answer your question about compatibility settings, the answer is no, that will not make a difference.

Im going to want to use it with MSTS and Openrails, when that comes out of course.
    Colin
    ---Colin Mucha---

Unfortunately, the situation with MSTS is worse off than with RailWorks or Trainz. Our software flat out does not work on Windows 7 (or even Vista), and we are not able to update it as it stands. We'd have to start from scratch, and to be honest we just don't have the resources to do so at the moment. This doesn't mean we'll never revisit RailDriver/MSTS pairing, but it's not something we can promise.

There is third-party software, as you mentioned, written by a man named Uhen. We are not affiliated with it, nor will we support it, but you could possibly look into that. We've heard mixed things about it, but if you get past the language barrier (it was written in German, and though there is an English translation, it's not the easiest to understand), it seems to work okay.

Otherwise, we do suggest only trying to use the RailDriver with MSTS on Windows XP. This can be accomplished via a dual boot system, which is something many of our users have set up.

As for OpenRails, unless the developers support it by using our SDK, it will not work with the RailDriver on any system. On the bright side, if it is incorporated, it will not matter what operating system you are using. The RailDriver isn't inherently incompatible with Windows 7, it just can't tap into MSTS on Windows 7.

Hey Colin, I just brought my RailDriver home from the post office today in quite a frenzie and immediately set to installing it first on my ideal system to see how it runs and then on my non-ideal system. Here's some feedback that might help you. I am by no means finished getting things going but I am stopping for a McDonald's break.

I installed first on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on an Intel i7 cpu, badnuts video card.
    The second system is a Windows XP 32bit Install on an AMD 6000+ or something. Kind of ghetto vid card. :\

So, on BOTH systems, I couldn't get the thing going at all without some manual intervention (this includes the 32bit XP install). In both cases, as soon as I ran RMDWII.exe or whatever it's called, I got an error about "the script is corrupt, do you want to edit it?" etc. And of course the script made no sense to me. I googled around a bit and figured some people had to fix the path to the Railworks DLL file in that script, so I did that and it made the program run on both computers. This is the fix I did, I will quote it so it stands out.

Go to this folder:
    C:\Program Files\PI Engineering\RailDriver MWII\XKeyDevices\Vid05F3Pid00D2

Edit this file:
    ReportConfig.txt

Toward the bottom, there's a comment about not needing to edit the path to Railworks (comment means it has a '#' at the start of the line). It is followed by a line like this:

module plugins\RailDriver.dll

That seems to be the problem. I edited the line to point to the full path to the file (XP example below) and the program ran and worked.

module C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\railworks\plugins\Rai lDriver.dll

(double check that I got that path right, I typed it from memory)
    Okay, so with that fixed, I was able to load the sim and see that the device was working (shows my speed on the LCD and the inputs do stuff).

Windows 7 64 Bit: The levers all work and maybe 2 or 3 of the additional buttons seem to (none of the blue ones down below do except the power one). For the rest of the controls you'd have to use a keyboard or find another way to map those buttons (which I think is possible).

Windows XP: everything seems to work. There are some issues, but I think they may be just limitations of the device. Like the throttle lever sensitivity is not very good. I will slide the lever a pretty long ways without seeing a change in throttle in game until you finally take it far enough to catch and it jumps 20% or more. I will be looking into whether the sensitivity can be corrected.

There were a few controls I didn't seem to be able to find on the XP run, but it could be I just wasn't looking hard enough or else they just aren't there. I will look into that after the sensitivity issue though.

Depending on how it all goes, I could maybe do a Windows 7 install to see if the 32bit version behaves any nicer but I am not sure if I'll bother spending the time when I could slum it and use Window XP (bleh).

Anyways, if I make good progress I'll try to remember to update this thread.

Thanks for the information! This helps alot!
    ---Colin Mucha---

I just want to note that RDMWII is for running the RailDriver with RailWorks/Rail Simulator, and will not help a user wishing to run the RailDriver with MSTS.

The software provided for linking the RailDriver to each simulator is very different.