Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Class 57 loco observations & opinions

Hi Otto
    Sorry i worded that badly. I meant on the class 57. Everything works except the throttle.
    Phill

Quote Originally Posted by bigphill1 View Post
    Hi Otto - Sorry i worded that badly. I meant on the class 57. Everything works except the throttle.
    The throttle seems to suffer some time delay.

Advancing it is takes a while before the throttle % start increasing.

O t t o

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    The throttle seems to suffer some time delay.

Advancing it is takes a while before the throttle % start increasing.

O t t o
    That was purposely done.
    Brave the forest, brave the stone,
    Brave the icy winds and fire,
    Braved and beat them on my own,
    Yet I'm helpless by the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainguy76 View Post
    That was purposely done.
    Agreed, the idea is that once you have moved the power control to the appropriate notch, the throttle then spools up as the engine spools up, as appropriate for an advanced computer-controlled diesel-electric unit. This is a much better alternative than the standard way diesel-electrics are handled in RW where full power comes on almost immediately even before the engine is still spooling up.

Quote Originally Posted by transadelaide1 View Post
    Agreed, the idea is that once you have moved the power control to the appropriate notch, the throttle then spools up as the engine spools up, as appropriate for an advanced computer-controlled diesel-electric unit. This is a much better alternative than the standard way diesel-electrics are handled in RW where full power comes on almost immediately even before the engine is still spooling up.
    Moving the RailDriver throttle or advancing it with a key press indicates the physical position of it in %, also showing as a notch number if present on a control console or stand.

Moving the Class 57 throttle there is a delay because of the diesels spooling up as has been said, then showing the % the diesels are running at.

B.T.W., moving the Raildriver throttle works but does not move in the cab and at 1/3rd forward the % indicator constantly changes from 0 - 40% and back.

The throttle controls the revolutions at which the diesels are running which in turn drive generators which supply electricity to the traction motors.

Will have to get used to this delayed response when shunting in yards which is what I do of most.

Having had to re-acquire it after losing some key functions find that it's starting 12% speed is slow enough for shunting.

O t t o
    Last edited by OTTODAD; 09-03-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Default Never an end

As noted in this thread, I started by modifying the glass in the cab view to make it clearer, then Otto provided an improved in-cab camera position, which I installed and recommend for all who DO NOT use the mouse for control of throttle and brake etc. Having been inspired to further efforts by Otto, and having finished looking at the provided scenarios, I decided that the gauges in night time view ( M key ) were too dim. Presto another alteration. Below are 2 un-retouched photos ( and therefore ) difficult to see: Before and After in that order

If interested in these I'm JimBF in the forum mail
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jimbf View Post
    If interested in these I'm JimBF in the forum mail
    Yes, I am interested, Jim !

Jim Ward once told me how to window-clean dirty cab windows UK locos have many of but forgot.

Could please ZIP your moded files and attach them to an email to:

Thanks, O t t o.

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    Have tested this new Class 57 Oxford Refurb Return activity, driving well past Reading without a problem !

O t t o
    This is strange. I did the whole route last night without the error, but I have also saved the route from about 3 miles before the error happens and when I run the saved route I still get the error.

Default Even stranger

Quote Originally Posted by trev123 View Post
    This is strange. I did the whole route last night without the error, but I have also saved the route from about 3 miles before the error happens and when I run the saved route I still get the error.
    What is even stranger, I investigated the scenario and I can't find a train with the designation 1L42 in the scenario. However, many of the AI trains are not being routed to a portal, but are being terminated at station platforms. So in theory if a train were routed to a platform that was too short, the following train might have a collision problem. Too bad I can't find the train in question. There may be a clue in the train number as the letter in Britain is supposed to designate the destination, anyone know what "L" means?

In RW the letter in the TRN is pretty well irrelevant because the majority of destinations are off the edge of a map, and practices also vary according to the different regions. Most scenarios are written with fairly random codes except those few that are recreated from proper working timetables. I also can't find any detailed breakdown of what each letter means within a region, but Wikipedia explains the concept in general and lists the inter-regional codes.

There are some general trends that apply across the network, and no local destinations have these letters...

1. Z denotes a railtour, maintenance or other non-standard light engine or non-revenue passenger train service.

2. Q is a track inspection/measurement service, alerts signallers that it must not be switched onto a route other than that which it is measuring.

3. X is the Royal Train.

4. All services with a 9 on the front are TGV services to/from linking London. These trains have 90xx or 91xx all-numeric codes but when they have to interact with regular UK controllers they use the 0/O and 1/I visual similarity to become 9Oxx or 9Ixx .