Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: KingConrail's Conrail SD40 project

Thumbs up KingConrail's Conrail SD40 project

I am posting this to support Steven's Conrail SD40 Project.. The reason I am posting this new thread, so we can start clean. Like I said a couple of weeks ago, that he worked so hard for this and used his time and hours onto this project. I just wanted to see his project step by step to his completion.

PLEASE!!!! Keep this thread for Steven's SD40 "work in progress" ONLY. I dont want to bring up any more "issues" like that other forum... let that wither away..

So Steven, hows the progress on your Conrail SD40 Project?

Thanks
    Dave

Thanks for your interest Dave. I've been kinda busy with some personal issues the past few days, but the Project is still alive and well. I've just been tweeking little things, finishing up the new Flexicoil Trucks, new couplers, and their Textures, and contemplateing the use of 2048 textures for the Hoods and Cab exterior...I've been meaning to get in touch with Nate about those. I don't wanna change up on him if he's gotten very far along.
    Steven

Germansville, Pennsylvania, United States.

Lol, 2048x Textures are fine by me, I haven't gotten as far as I'd hoped to by now but I've been busy as well. You want larger textures, say the word

Nate
    The Lehigh & New England Preservation Society: Bringing Home the L&NE 611!!!!
    For Donation information Come Visit us at: www.facebook.com/lne611 or PM Me

All of my new models use a single 2048x2048 texture for most of the mapping (you can fit a lot at a good resolution that way) with smaller, secondary textures for other things.

For example, the ES44 has one 2048x2048 texture for most of the parts, One secondary 512x512 for the transparent parts, and another 512x512 for trucks and cab interior. It could have been done with less, but the ES44 was originally laid out with 1024x1024 textures which were later upped and redrawn at twice the size.

RLCX 1703 was designed for the higher resolution from the start, and uses one 2048x2048 for almost everything, a 512x512 for transparent parts, and a 1024x1024 for the cab interior and possible future required space.

Arrangements such as these provide a good compromise between resolution and texture memory. One large texture is always more efficient than many small ones, and this allows most parts to fit onto one texture at a good resolution. So I say go with it - it's a good idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Erick_Cantu; 09-03-2010 at 05:37 AM.

Default wow!

When and how can we get hold of this beauty?

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by trainsimer101 View Post
    Lol, 2048x Textures are fine by me, I haven't gotten as far as I'd hoped to by now but I've been busy as well. You want larger textures, say the word

Nate
    Hey Nate, if it's not too much trouble, just archieve what you've got done and set it aside.

The template layout has been bugging me for a few days now, and I've re-organized it about 50 times so far, and I am still not happy.

I want to use a layout that will be easy to alter to other Engines that use common parts, ie; same basic "template" for all EMD GP and SD Engines, with only minor changes needed for hood configurations, but I think I am over-thinking it, and just end up frustrated.

I like the "look" of Eric's example above, and if I start over with Gmax, I think I could go that route, but with TSM, texturing is a bit different, and the Templates really need to be less "wrap-aroundy", and more "projectiony"...unless there is a feature or trick to TSM that I'm missing.?. (I'm beginning to HATE TSM, but it is super easy to build with...so... ).

Another frustration, is TSM's limited ability to work with 1024 textures, and zero ability to work with 2048 textures...512 is native, and gives the best mapping control, but apon manually resizing to 2048, it's hit or miss if things will line up correctly. (one pixel adjustment @512, is 4 pixels @2048, for those less familiar)
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by kingconrail76 View Post
    Another frustration, is TSM's limited ability to work with 1024 textures, and zero ability to work with 2048 textures...512 is native, and gives the best mapping control, but apon manually resizing to 2048, it's hit or miss if things will line up correctly. (one pixel adjustment @512, is 4 pixels @2048, for those less familiar)
    Just map on a 1024 and resize it to a 2048, everything should line up perfectly.
    Southern Pacific Transportation Company

Quote Originally Posted by kingconrail76 View Post
    Hey Nate, if it's not too much trouble, just archieve what you've got done and set it aside.

The template layout has been bugging me for a few days now, and I've re-organized it about 50 times so far, and I am still not happy.

I want to use a layout that will be easy to alter to other Engines that use common parts, ie; same basic "template" for all EMD GP and SD Engines, with only minor changes needed for hood configurations, but I think I am over-thinking it, and just end up frustrated.

I like the "look" of Eric's example above, and if I start over with Gmax, I think I could go that route, but with TSM, texturing is a bit different, and the Templates really need to be less "wrap-aroundy", and more "projectiony"...unless there is a feature or trick to TSM that I'm missing.?. (I'm beginning to HATE TSM, but it is super easy to build with...so... ).

Amen to that one. Sometimes you have to modify the face or polygon allotment using polygon mode in TSM to stop any bleeding. I am going over to 3D Canvas Pro, but the learning curve is pretty steep. One way that I may be able to help with this is by sharing my TSM project files with you. I have already done some significant work on commonality of EMD parts in my various projects. My 4-axle project is pretty much ready to fly for personal use, but I am a rather indifferent model skinner (see attached screenies in TSM and in SFV). The GP38-2 model is up and running in the game, as are the SD60 and the SD60M. The SD40-2 stills need some work. I am happy wih my models as regards to size, as I was a professional railroader for over 40 years and drove or repaired just about everything that I have modelled.

All of my current models have solid trucks. If they seem a bit fat, just remember that I get them into the game using Polymaster to break it up into reasonably-sized subobjects with less than 12000 vertices if possible. I had started these as replacements for my original models, some of which are available in the file library along with their TSM souce files. As I am also building a route (QNS&L Northernland subdivision, an iron ore hauler-all of the models in the SFV shot are running in the game), I want to concentrate on the specific models used by that railway. If you are interested, send me a PM and I will zip everything up and send along what ever you want to use. Just put my name in the readme (which nobody reads most of the time!) as a contributor and I am a happy camper

Cheers

Steve Callaghan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    Just map on a 1024 and resize it to a 2048, everything should line up perfectly.
    To expand.

I had forgotten all of FSDS/TSMs quirks when I wrote my post, but it should theoretically be possible to lay textures out in the same basic formatting I have been using.

Lay it out as a 1024x1024 texture. Map accordingly. I seem to remember there is an option available to select the faces you want to map, I remember needing to use it on an aborted attempt at a DC-9 when I first started modelling. Then expand the textures, being extremely careful vis a vis alignment. You know the drill. Turn every single pixel into a quad of four, refine, and make sure the boundaries remain the same between parts.

It would require some effort, but it could very well be worth it.

The power and ease of UVW mapping combined with the viewport flexibility was actually what ultimately made me want to switch to GMax permanently. At the time, FSDS2 was in the early stages, and we knew it would be coming, so I was kind of between programs. When I got used to UVW mapping and the cool things I could do with viewports, I never looked back.

But everyone's different.

Thumbs up Official Update

The Model is basically complete, just a few little things that I missed on the first creation, like the cab steps...I have them, they're just not on the Model yet.

The Texture Templates are about 95%, just small areas to address there as well.

SD40Capture.jpg

As you can see from the Pic, it is extremely High Poly, and currently throws an error when trying to load into the Sim...(edit; It didn't show up too well, but that is 21,369 Polys, and 7.72 Kujus, after Merging Parts, and Polymaster)

I've got to change the Alpha Type for the cab exterior Windows, and add the Cab Steps, so I'll take a look at some other items that might be throwing the fits as well. (It's probably something simple, like I forgot to deselect all points of a part or something).

With over 200 Hours into it (including Texture revisions and multiple rebuilds), I'm a bit burned out, and will be putting it aside for a while to take care of other commitments. When I return to it, I may end up completely rebuilding it again, in a Low Poly Version, for those who do not have systems capable of running this one.
    Last edited by kingconrail76; 09-20-2010 at 12:59 AM.
    Steven