Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help With Changing Cabs

Default Help With Changing Cabs

Hi. I am trying to change the cab on the fbl dash 9s to one of the ge safe cabs. Every time i save the .eng file it says it cannot create the .eng file. make sure file and path name are correct. I have checked everything and read the how to on aliasing but nothing has seemed to work. This also happened when i tried to change the FBL RDC cab to an rdc cab found from the file library. If someone knows a solution that would be great.

NOTE: I was changing the cabss be cause when the cabs that came with the files were messed up when i tried to use them. It would be great for some help with that too.

-Thanks, Paul Enderson

Did you follow the README when you change the cabs? It takes a little more than changing folders.. Did you make some changes to the cabview file (cvf)? If not, then you need to change it to the right way according to the README thats included..
    Dave Edwards

The GESAFECAB would go in the common.cab folder, as this is where Charlies cabs are aliased from. This is in the trainset folder. If you do not have one, create it.
    Next you would put his .cvf file in your engines cab folder.
    Finally, you would use the name of the .cvf file, and edit that in your .eng file, on the cabview line.
    Save.

Is this the way you did it? If not, explain what you did step by step so we can see where the breakdown is.

Oh, make sure only the true GESAFECAB with the cab view files goes in common.cab folder, if it is packaged inside other parent folders.

Neil

Yes I followed all the steps in the readme and tried to change the the .eng file. This is where the problem occured.

The GESAFECAB would go in the common.cab folder, as this is where Charlies cabs are aliased from. This is in the trainset folder. If you do not have one, create it.
    Next you would put his .cvf file in your engines cab folder.
    Finally, you would use the name of the .cvf file, and edit that in your .eng file, on the cabview line.
    Save.

Is this the way you did it? If not, explain what you did step by step so we can see where the breakdown is.

Oh, make sure only the true GESAFECAB with the cab view files goes in common.cab folder, if it is packaged inside other parent folders.

Neil
    That is exactly how i did it. But once i tried to save the .eng problem the previously stated message came up.
    -Paul

This could be a Windows 7 Administrator problem with files, or read/write issues on the files.

Do you know how to fix said problems.

I sounds to me like the .eng files in question are probably "Read Only" and cannot be changed until they are made Read/Write. It's a simple process.

Right-click on the TRAINSET folder and click on Properties from the drop-down menu. The general properties will be displayed in a new little window. UNcheck the attributes box called "Read Only" and then click OK. Depending on how many files you have in your trainset folder, this process could take a few minutes. You can do the same with your ROUTES folder using the same process.

One more thing. Make sure that you are editing these files in a Unicode text editor, such as ConText or WordPad. They must be saved in Unicode Text format. When you go to save your changes, click on the menu button "File" and choose "Save As..." Below the file name text bar is the drop down menu for choices on which format to save it in.
    Last edited by RoadMaster259; 09-15-2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Unicode text
    RoadMaster259
    "I love steel thunder"
    Blogspot: https://rockymountainsimulations.blo...mulations.html

Thanks ill try that. I was using word pad so dont think thats the problem.
    : ) -Paul

I believe that IS the problem, You should be using NOTEPAD, and saving in unicode. Am I right here guys?

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    I believe that IS the problem, You should be using NOTEPAD, and saving in unicode. Am I right here guys?

Neil
    No Neil, you should be using WordPad.
    Steven