Thread: Traction Vehicles For Railworks (Gimmie Pig Post)

Default Traction Vehicles For Railworks (Gimmie Pig Post)

Do we know or does anyone have any plans to create/release some US style traction/tram/LRV type vehicles? There are scores of tram and light rail routes which would make ideal projects for a modest RW route (part of SF Muni, Calgary Transit etc.) but with no stock to run on them little point. At the moment the only trams we have are two UK double deckers - fine for an enthusiasts special but not the workaday stock you would see on the routes. Use of heavy rail EMU (the GARL 380) is not going to look right, nor is doubling the fatality rate on Judah Street by laying 3rd/4th rail to run the LT tube stock.

Something like a PCC car, Boeing LRV would be superb - freeware if possible but decent quality payware, just as good.

Oh well, not a high priority it would seem...

I would like to make a American trolley one of these days, but first I have to build up some experience with using 3D Canvas. Right now I'm also working on a vintage hand car. That was used to push train cars around when the job was too small for the switcher.

Not many RW traction fans from what i can tell. I instigated a similar project long ago, Matt Austin gave me the source file for one of his MSTS interurban cars, I sweet talked Kevin Martin into converting it;

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?286712

Abandonware now (obviously) so if anyone wants to take it over feel free. Needs an actual cabview and preferably animated trolley poles, which shouldn't be geared to the usual power off setting when the poles are down - the protoype was dual powered, ran on outside third rail in the city with both poles down, overhead wire between cities with the trailing pole up. North Shore was particularly interesting because it started on the Chicago Elevated under third rail power, changed to its own tracks and raised the poles for the overhead wires, flipped up a trap door over the steps for the lower level suburban platforms. Then it ran to Milwaukee and circled around on the streetcar tracks mingling with the auto traffic.

Send me some pictures of some American trolleys and I'll see what I can do to make some. I to like American trolleys and just got 3D Canvas Pro, but I will need outside pictures from many angles, cab pictures, and possibly sounds if you can find any.

If you can get me these I'll try to make an American style trolley.

Sincerely jpetersjr

NorthernWarrior, get me these and I'll see what I can do to make a freeware American trolley.
    Jonathan Burton Peters Jr, Big J
    System of the retro era assets and the old downtown era.

https://jpetersjr1.wixsite.com/big-j-productions

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Something like a PCC car, Boeing LRV would be superb - freeware if possible but decent quality payware, just as good.
    I agree that a PCC would be a great addition. Used all over for decades, it's like the SD40-2 of trolleys, only moreso.

Regards,

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by jpetersjr View Post
    Send me some pictures of some American trolleys and I'll see what I can do to make some. I to like American trolleys and just got 3D Canvas Pro, but I will need outside pictures from many angles, cab pictures, and possibly sounds if you can find any.

If you can get me these I'll try to make an American style trolley.

Sincerely jpetersjr

NorthernWarrior, get me these and I'll see what I can do to make a freeware American trolley.
    Thanks for the kind offer, unfortunately being on the other side of the "pond" presents a slight logistical problem!

This site:

http://world.nycsubway.org/

has loads of images of transit and traction vehicles from around the world but we would need someone who has access to the cab and sounds locally to take care of that side of things.

Get ahold of Kevin Martin, see if you can get him to convert his London subway cab to right hand side. Again, I no longer use railworks so that converted North Shore interurban is abandonware, since Humyo is going payware next year I'm going to lose that account so somebody better claim it and upload before it's lost forever.

There is a PCC car for RW at UK TrainSim. The file includes TTC and LA Transit liveries.
    http://www.uktrainsim.com/filelib-in...m_fileid=27515
    There is also a scenario for the cars:
    New Arrival [NewArrivalCandlewick.rar]
    The scenario requires the route Candlewick:
    Candlewick by Stephen Holmes. UKTS file 27429

You must be a member at UK Train-Sim to download files.

John DeLamater

The PCC cars are really good although the braking is a bit tricky - I think it's emulating a foot brake so you kind of like have to pump it to bring the tram to a gradual stop.