Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "New" BNSF GP60

Default "New" BNSF GP60

Just came across this on Railpictures.net:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=338687&nseq=2

Pretty interesting they converted a B unit and it looks pretty sharp in that new paint.

It's terrible nobody put an AC on the roof...
    --BNSF Conductor--

Quote Originally Posted by beltontigers View Post
    I count that as a good reason not to like them.

It looks alright, will anyone make a RW freeware model for it?

Quote Originally Posted by beltontigers View Post
    Yeah, if they went through the trouble of putting a cab on the thing, why not put an a/c on the roof?

....I know you could probably give me a few good reasons, Kyle, but even over here, our fearless leader (CSX) is slapping a/c units ontop of many of the old geep's left and right. I don't know how they'll hold up over time, but now that they're new, those things can pump out the cold. Always fun to make it snow in the cab, and have the condensate all over the outside. Brrr!

"My Life Is a Really Complicated Drinking Game"
    Check Out The Locomotive Airhorn Social Group!
    www.flickr.com/jeffreyramone

Hoping I get to "test drive" this thing soon...the sidewall heaters better work!
    Orange Hoghead

How do you know that plows (the GP60Bs had no plows) and A/C will not come after the conversion proves itself mechanically? Why add that expense now when reliability of the demo unit remains unproven?

I wonder if these will hold the same weight as the GP60B's did, or if they are light like the original GP60's. If they are light like the original GP60's, That is going to be a lot of wheel slip depending on what they do in their life.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeBlossom View Post
    How do you know that plows (the GP60Bs had no plows) and A/C will not come after the conversion proves itself mechanically? Why add that expense now when reliability of the demo unit remains unproven?
    I don't think there's anything for the conversion to proof mechanically? The normal GP60 systems remain intact.

The test is if it's economically viable to do a cab transplant for the GP60B fleet. And regardless if it's considered a success with more to follow or a economic failure, it's going to surely remain as a GP60A so I don't see a reason why they'd wait until after a determination of the fate of the program to install those accessories. It's not going to be returned to a B unit or scrapped if the program doesn't get a green light. The question is if it's going to remain a one of a kind or have it's sisters join it in being converted.

The GP60Ms and GP60Bs were slightly different, mechanically and electrically, from a standard GP60. They have their own unique electrical systems, different traction motor specification, etc. Being mechanically similar to the GP60Ms is why these rebuilds were put in the 170 series rather than the 8740 series on top of the standard cab GP60s.

The B units also lacked all the piping related to control stands and air brake systems that would need to be added. There is alot for this design to prove. There was never a "standard cab" GP60M built. (the M in that designation implied more than a different cab)

All of the work done so far has been done by contractors. The remaining stuff can be done by BNSF at Topeka at their leisure after the unit is deemed a success.