Thread: Born to be Wild

Cool Born to be Wild

close but you still wrecked out, collission at 2:27

Was wondering if anyone would catch that. The collision detection is a little weird, seems like unless the centerlines actually contact it don't count as a collision. I've seen a number of times where one car or engine is fowling the switch, gets sideswiped, and the edges just pass thru each other. I did think about redoing that scene (engine didn't cooperate, when I released the brake and opened the throttle it started forward, had to shut the throttle and move the reverser forward and back again to get it to understand "reverse".) but I ain't getting paid for this, so I said GEFF (Good Enough For Freeware) and uploaded it.

Having too much fun with this, the physics allow for some realistic rolling distances, so I'm tinkering with a hump yard;

3% grade at present, I might decrease that. Couple things I found;

1. Car has to be uncoupled while moving, even if only a quarter mile per hour, if I have the brakes on with the car hanging over onto the grade it won't start rolling just from gravity. Give it a nudge and uncouple, then gravity takes over and it starts rolling gradually faster down the grade.

2. The "signal US rail end" bumper don't just stop a slow rolling car, even if it hits at 2-3mph it usually derails. After fudging by raising the end splines so the ends of the yard tracks were 2% up, they still derailed sometimes, so I added a retarder Speed retarder,<kuid2:30671:23301:1> to each yard track beyond the ladder, seems to work that way.

3. I changed the hump to a level section long enough for the whole train, so you climb the grade from the other end onto the bridge and then are sitting on level track until you back up to the hump point. Otherwise with the train hanging over both sides of the hump it tends to roll forward after uncoupling the car hanging over the hump, requiring a lot of throttle and brakework so you don't have time to zoom down to the yard and throw switches when multiple different cars are rolling down.

Anyway, fun experiments, I always wanted to do a video of the flying switch and dutch drop but the other sims require unrealistically steep grades or tampering with the physics to remove the brakes on the cars being humped or kicked.

Other thing I've been playing with that's not as much fun, Trainz is the only one with the actual banging crashing sound effects from coupler slack - the other two have VISUAL slack action, but no associated sound. I can hear it just fine (a LOVELY noise!), problem is I can't record it since the SigmaTel onboard sound chip won't do streaming audio - you can record sounds with a mike, but not internally. I've been trawling the internet for various workarounds, nothing has worked yet, dead silence from FRAPS.
    Last edited by sniper297; 09-27-2010 at 01:31 AM.

Jim, have you found a way to apply the handbrakes to the cars once freerolling, I remember being able to do it in earlier versions of TRS but cant remember how. Dutch drops arnt very useful if the cars just go and derail once they reach the end of the siding.
    On vacation from failsim land

No, AFAIK once you kick a car, Issac Newton is driving from then on. I'm still tinkering with the slope and grade of the hump track, sometimes works sometimes don't. The speed retarders help, you can kick them at a pretty good clip into a yard track that has a speed retarder.

Latest project, after hunting all over the internet to find a solution to Dell and SigmaTel (apparently they disabled many standard recording features) I found a poor man's workaround - 1/8" male to male stereo jack cable, plug one end into the earphone jack, the other into the microphone jack, set FRAPS to record from the mike. Can't hear the sounds while I'm recording, but at least I can record from a game that way, then unplug the jack from the earphone port so I can listen to it.

There's that LOVELY coupler slack action sound the other two games are missing.

Jim --

Your original clip reminded me of this one that I did some time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtvnNczZFXQ

Phil

Cool Get thee behind me, Phil Skene!

"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from Trainz!" Yeah, I remember that one, discussion about trying to do something with the physics to allow kicking and humping in - well, that other game, don't want to say the name and set off the footy fans. Dunno if I mentioned it, but that particular demo was a neat stunt - but it was purely a stunt. The whole point of the flying switch and dutch drop is how you get a car from one end of the engine to another when there's no runaround siding ("passing loop") available, in that case you used a runaround siding in an unusual way. Next trick to try, make a spur (dead end siding, dunno what youse furriners call them) with a steep upgrade at the end, see if it's possible to kick a car in so it coasts up to the top, stops, then comes back down again while the engine passes the switch. Back later!

3% appears to be about right, other factors would be the distance from the bottom of the hump track to the yard lead and position of retarders, along with the actual technique. I haven't figured this out yet, but it seems as if the rolling physics are "stored" in the car after uncoupling - with a heavy brake application before uncoupling the car continues to decelerate at the same rate it was decelerating before uncoupling or something. Best technique seems to be get the train moving, back off the throttle to idle, uncouple, THEN apply the train brakes.