Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Locomotive startup and shutdown

Other projects are moving along very slowly…lol. I am redoing the bogies for all current locos so the results will be cleaner sharper finishes; I am about 65% complete on the 9E loco.

I have created the 9E cab view from images I got online but I still need to make a few adjustments. I am also really keen to ship all my current locos with the correct sounds so I am planning a trip to Richards Bay soon and then hopefully to the Cape to catch some 9E’s.

I got side tracked with the diesel loco start-up/shutdown thing so hopefully I can get some focus going soon.

Found the X unit I was referring to. X4200 Panoramique, available here http://railatelier.free.fr/models/modeles.htm . Download that, and when you run it, notice it does NOT start the engine till you either engage the throttle**unrealistically as it just jumps to the throttle sound**, or untill you press the 'starter' which is the bell button.

Thanks for posting back I will download the loco and check it out, thanks.

If they're just a loose consist sitting around in the yard, the engines may run (most products by amatuers keep running), but some, like the 3DTrainStuff Genesis diesels, actually have a "sleep" mode where if they're just sitting around, they make almost no noise. Electric engines still run even when the pantograph is down. I was thinking a future verison of MSTSBin may be able to replitcate that.

Stuart Williamson over in the UK forums made a sound set for an English loco where you could press the B key to run through a startup or shutdown sound sequence.
    Of course the diesel loco always had smoke coming out, and drove with or without sound.
    I think the loco was a BR Class 07 and the sounds were called "Small Shunter Sound Set". Try searching on those on the UK file library.

Thanks I will search for the locomotive and take a look. I know with the SA electric locomotives I have if the pantograph is in the down position you cannot accelerate or anything only once you raise it.

I managed to manipulate a diesels .eng file to use a pantograph switch by changing the Type() to Electric and a few other things. The Locomotive was still able to run on non-electrified lines no problem but there are still a lot of things that aren’t right like I setup the triggers to operate on the pantograph up/down but when I start moving the other variable triggers don’t seem to want to function…… but I will keep at it and see what happens.

Oh yes and then when you make it electric you don’t get the diesel exhaust smoke and when pushing F9 you get an electric loco but anyway we just solider on and see what we get, thanks for all the ideas and suggestion.