Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: My new train project, a American steam locomotive, 2,6,2 Prairie

Here's my recent progress on the 2,6,2 Prairie, built the cow plow that can be seen on the train's front end.

Sincerely jpetersjr

And made these yesterday, the roof hatches.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jpetersjr; 10-18-2010 at 12:10 PM.
    Jonathan Burton Peters Jr, Big J
    System of the retro era assets and the old downtown era.

https://jpetersjr1.wixsite.com/big-j-productions

Northern Virginia, United States of America

You may want to move the cylinders slightly lower and a bit more towards the front of the locomotive.

I can move them lower some, but if you pulled them forward they'd get in the way of the pilot wheels. If anything I might have to pull the cylinders back some so they're further out of the way of the pilot wheels.

To me it looks like maybe the driver wheels should go back more toward the cab, and then you would have room to also slide the pilot truck back more. The engine just looks a little stretched out, especially with the large spaces between the pilot and trailing trucks and the drivers. I would also agree on sliding the cylinders down and forward a little.

She is looking good with your newly added details thou. And it cracks me up every time you say cow plow!
    Last edited by Tro1086; 10-18-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Of course, unfortunately, the only way I could move the driver wheels back is to restart the locomotive, because it's not very easy to move them back.

Besides, if I moved the driver wheels back it wouldn't look totally like a 2,6,2 Prairie.

Here's my progress so far, I've installed the piping, drain pipe and the brake pressure chambers, seen just below the walk.

Sincerely Jonathan

Here's a new picture of my progress, added the pipes connecting one brake valve, (pressure chamber) to the other. And released the brake release, air release valve just infront of the rear pressure chamber. Where the air would be released when you shut off the brake while going down track. So you wouldn't get brought to a complete halt because of not being able to dis engage the brakes. The air release valve was so the brakes could dis engage and the engine speed back up instead of slowing down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jpetersjr; 10-18-2010 at 10:08 PM.