Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missing Activity File Somehow Recognized by Route Riter

After some investigation, I think this is primarily a Train Store problem. I looked at the activity information in the "Classic Train Store" window, and the consists there all call for the stock used by the original download. This despite the fact that the consists in my MSTS CONSISTS folder all reflect my modifications done with Route Riter. I searched my C: drive, and I cannot find any other copies of the .con files--I simply cannot figure out why Train Store is reading the .con files from the original download. I checked in the Train Store folder, but the consists are not there. The only .con files called for by the activity are in my MSTS CONSISTS folder, but they are my modified versions, NOT the original files that Train Store is somehow recognizing.

I think the reason that Train Store is storing stock called for by my modified .con files is that it is loading the stock called for by the original .con files instead. It is not :seeing" the .con files in my CONSIST folder, and for some reason is "seeing" the original .con and .act files.

I am running Train Store Build 3.2.2.563, with the update for Windows 7. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Train Store, but that did not solve the problem. I have confirmed with EL_Al that the activity works with my modifications on a mini-route version of Cajon 3ML.

I've never had this problem with Train Store before (though I had been using it on an XP machine until recently). Any ideas?

Thanks
    Last edited by BenPMills; 10-17-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Clarified problem

Mini-route?
    Is Train Store pointing to the correct MSTS install?

Mini-route?
    Is Train Store pointing to the correct MSTS install?
    Yes--I have only one MSTS install (and Train Store is correctly pointed there). EL_Al tested the activity (with my modifications) on a mini-route on his system

I may have been too quick to blame Train Store--I think this may be a Windows 7 file issue, based on some tinkering I did today.

I thought it would be best to back up my versions of the modified .con and .act files that were residing in my MSTS folder (and that RR was reading, but Train Store was not), so I copied them all to a folder on my desktop.

When I did that and opened one of the files with Context, I found that it had magically, with no input from me, morphed from my modified version to its original version. All the other files were the same way--they were my modified version in the MSTS folder, but transformed into their original versions when I copied them to the desktop.

I don't know much about Win7, but I think this has to be some effect of its file system. I think that the .con and .act files in my MSTS folder aren't "really" modified, and when I copy them to the desktop, they revert back to their true form. I just have no idea what could be causing this. I made sure my MSTS folder was not set to read only, but that didn't seem to solve the problem. I've never had this issue with any other activity on my Windows 7 install of MSTS.

Has anyone else dealt with this morphing files issue?

>I suspect it might have something to do with the file structure of Win7

The file structure has not changed from XP.

It would appear from what you are saying that you did not have everything unstored, or am I confused?

Cheers
    Derek
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by BenPMills View Post
    I think this may be a Windows 7 file issue, based on some tinkering I did today.

I thought it would be best to back up my versions of the modified .con and .act files that were residing in my MSTS folder (and that RR was reading, but Train Store was not), so I copied them all to a folder on my desktop.

When I did that and opened one of the files with Context, I found that it had magically, with no input from me, morphed from my modified version to its original version. All the other files were the same way--they were my modified version in the MSTS folder, but transformed into their original versions when I copied them to the desktop.

I don't know much about Win7, but I think this has to be some effect of its file system. I think that the .con and .act files in my MSTS folder aren't "really" modified, and when I copy them to the desktop, they revert back to their true form. I just have no idea what could be causing this. I made sure my MSTS folder was not set to read only, but that didn't seem to solve the problem. I've never had this issue with any other activity on my Windows 7 install of MSTS.

Has anyone else dealt with this morphing files issue?
    Lets start at the top:-

If all files have changed to originals, then you have 2 MSTS installs, no other explanation.

>Has anyone else dealt with this morphing files issue?

There is no such thing, files don't morph, you need to search your disk for duplicate files.

>I made sure my MSTS folder was not set to read only

You can't do that, ALL folders ( just the folder ) are read only by design, and it was the same in XP.

I await the results of your disk search.

Cheers
    Derek
    Cheers
    Derek

Well, I have partially solved the problem, and seem to entirely solved the "morphing files" issue. I can assure you that I have only one MSTS installation, so let me try to explain what I did to (partially) fix the problem.

The basic issue was that there was a disagreement between RR and Train Store/MSTS over the contents of the .con and .act files. If I opened "xxxx.con" in my CONSISTS folder, it reflected my rolling stock changes. Route Riter showed the same contents. Yet when I looked at the activity information in Train Store, it told me that "xxxx.con" was the original downloaded file, calling for the original stock before my modifications. When I loaded MSTS, I got train database errors for the same stock. And when I copied "xxxx.con" from my CONSISTS folder to the desktop, the contents appeared to morph from my modified version to the original version.

Thinking that the issue had something to do with hidden or meta data in the files, I poked around until I found the "Details" tab of the file property menu. I clicked the "Remove Properties and Personal Information" link, and then selected the "Create a copy with all possible properties removed" option. This left me with "xxxx-copy.con," as well as my original "xxxx.con" Opening the files, "xxxx.con" showed my modifications, but "xxxx-copy.con"--the copy with all personal information removed--showed the original, unmodified file contents. A-ha, I thought.

I opened "xxxx.con," copied all its contents and pasted them into "xxxx-copy.con." I then deleted "xxxx.con" and renamed the copy to "xxxx.con." Checking in Train Store, I saw that this fixed the problem--it now showed "xxxx.con" with my modifications. I repeated this process for all the .con files and the .act file. I also had to move a few .srv files from the original download because they were not in the SERVICES folder. This despite the fact that RR recognized them. Like I said, this is weird.

When I loaded the activity in MSTS, I got no train database errors. Success! Except that I got a CTD at the MSTS loading screen. I am also unable to load the activity with the AE (also get a CTD). I have again confirmed with EL_Al that my version of the activity works on his mini route install, so I am kind of back to square one after a circuitous detour through the weeds of Windows 7. I am going to keep tinkering on my end, but if anyone has any thoughts, I would love to hear them

Hi Ben,You asked,
    Quote "but if anyone has any thoughts, I would love to hear them " Quote
    I would have dumped it ages ago.

Regards

RonP
    " To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer."
    Paul Ehrlich