Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gmax questions

Question Gmax questions

Hi,

I've got 3 questions for you:

1. When I export my tender to gmax, the chassis has its all of its polygons inverted even though I can't find any difference with the other objects in gmax itself...what could be the problem here?

2. Not actually adequate to post here, but still: is there a gmax export plugin to RailWorks? It's just that my loco has over 23000 polys (and I'm not about to reduce that except dividing into 2 models if necessary) because I wanted it to be Railworks-worthy.

3. Also, as the poly count is so high, I wonder how I can stop msts from crashing?
    I have seen locos of 18000 polys still loading perfectly in msts and I remember it was something with the LODs, but I don't remember how exactly.

Thanks anyway!

Germansville, Pennsylvania, United States.

1. Select all objects and shapes, go to Hierarchy, go down to pivot, hit "Reset Pivot"

2. No clue, But i can tell you that isn't that high of a poly count

3. LODs don't stop MSTS from crashing, it stops MSTS from having to think about the entire model at once at a large distance. Poly Master i think would be of more use for that. However, i digress again, models up in the range of 100,000 polys have been built. I have a 2-10-2 driver set that already sits in the range of 36,000 polys. The real question behind how poly heavy you can build your model is, what are your computer specs and what can your computer handle.

Nate
    The Lehigh & New England Preservation Society: Bringing Home the L&NE 611!!!!
    For Donation information Come Visit us at: www.facebook.com/lne611 or PM Me

For question 3, I'd suggest using Shape File Fixer (I don't think polymaster works with gmax). The key to high poly models is dividing the model itself into subobjects. Shape Fixer does this automatically; you'll need to export the model, uncompress it (using Shape File Manager or any other utility) and then run it through Shape Fixer; if the poly count is too high (usually above 20,000), you may have to run Shape Fixer twice. If you're feeling really adventurous you can experiment with subobjects in gmax itself using the hierarchy. Hope this helps!

Hi,

@Trainsimer101: I tried resetting the pivot point but now gmax crashes each time at export :s
    Also the pivot points to be resetted were in the chassis and the wheels (which turned backwards in the s-file) and each time I clicked on 'reset' the pivot points disaligned to the world (arrows pointing in some opposite directions to the normal). It doesn't matter if I checked 'affect pivot point only' although that could be the source of the crash (and it seems I may have saved after editing these pivots as I just keep getting the crash).
    D*mn you gmax! It's never good enough for you...
    But hey, thanks for the effort anyway!

@Surflegg: thanks, I'll try this program as soon as the textures are ready too

Oh and one last thing: could it be that, without textures (except for one), the tender cannot be loaded by msts -counting 8006 polys-, even though blank.ace is present? I can tell shape viewer doesn't load that last texture anyway.
    http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4561/12004l.jpg

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

What I recommend is selecting all of the parts of your tender, and selecting "Save As" and save the entire thing as a "new" scene. Then, for each part - seperately, reset the pivot, then select each part, seperately, click on "Affect pivot only" and "Align to World." That should fix it.

Insure that each part is "editable mesh."

If it still crashes the exporter, remove the heirarchy, export each part one by one. One subobject is probably corrupt, and is crashing it. You'll probably have to rebuild that object from scratch.

What is the error by MSTS, the missing textures will say so in the error message.

And, no, no exporter for RS/RW...
    Last edited by rdamurphy; 10-21-2010 at 09:08 AM.

The error I get in MSTS is, well, at least in the consist editor inside the activity editor: failed to load shape file, followed by the location of it.
    Nothing more.
    Editing the pivot points or removing the hierarchy didn't work, so I'm going to find out what part is the problem...(also resetting the pivot point of Main moved it out of the world center, but even though the entire tender would be moved it shouldn't make it crash)

Omg...I just discovered aligning to world, even though it's "affect pivot only" deforms the object:
    http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/5580/errornq.jpg

Hi,
    the error above is due to this: when I reset the pivot, the scale value is no longuer on 100%, which caused the crashes.
    So I reset the scale value too. Now the chassis and the wheels have the same problem all over again: chassis with inverted polygons and wheels turning backwards, even though they don't in gmax. Inverting the polygons in gmax is no solution as their lighting is terrible in the shape file.
    I tried both exporting with their pivots aligned to the world and with pivots in their "preferred" position and I see no difference.

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Select all polys in the object. Clear Smoothing. Use Auto-smoothing.

When you flip the polys the smoothing remains backwards. Shadows are on the wrong side of them.

Robert

Nope, doesn't help.
    But I read it may be caused by mirrorring. I used this function once in a while, so I guess I'll have to rebuild that object from scratch.