Thread: A Few thoughts on the new HUD

Default A Few thoughts on the new HUD

Anyone noticed that info in the new HUD differs from info in the old HUD? A few things Iv noticed are: the biggest, the clocks dont even match, now I dont know if the time table Im supposed to be following is based on the old HUD time or new HUD time. Second, when driving steam and using more than just 0 or 100 reverser, the reverser settings in the two HUDs dont match, set 50 reverser in new HUD, and its 60 something in the old HUD. Also station distances differ, but I believe one HUD is measuring to the end of the platform and one is measuring to the beginning, so not a huge deal.

Another thing I dont like, and makes it about impossible to drive steam with the new HUD, is that it dosnt show steam chest (cylinder) pressure, so you dont know when to back the reverser down. I also prefer the numerical display of the old F5 HUD over the simple line bar display of the new HUD. There are certain things you can perform much more consistently when actually having a number shown to you rather than just a bar. Like how much brake pressure you are applying. If they could maybe show the numbers written vertically inside the bar, or some way to show actual numerical data, that would be cool.

I will add that I have only driven the Black 5 with the new HUD, so possibly other engines are different. But it seems like that out of all the engines the B5 would show steam chest pressure if any of them will.

found out something else

the Mile post markers don't show in the new F4 HUD they still show in the F3

Here's another interesting difference. All the rolling stock visible within the F3 HUD's limited range is visible, as it is, for that matter, in the 2D map. In the new F4 HUD, on the other hand, only rolling stock coupled to the player engine can be seen. The same is true in the coupling ribbon. As soon as the player engine begins to move away from wagons it has just dropped off, the wagons' symbols vanish. This is not a serious problem since, when carrying out switching duties, for example, both wagons and engine are visible in the 3D view, but it would be nice if the ribbon displayed both as well. As it is, someone concentrating on the ribbon would collide with any "invisible" wagons located on a siding.

Tom Pallen

td, I have noticed that also.

Tom, definitely agree with you. Seeing other rolling stock, besides what your coupled to, in the F4 "track monitor", would be awesome.

I hope theres a few "certain guys" reading this thread and taking notes!