Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SD90AC - Diesels West has another winner

Default SD90AC - Diesels West has another winner

Scott just keeps getting better and better. The UP90AC (the "H" model) is a real treat. I just spent a few hours running it and it is one beautifully detailed locomotive.

My criticisms are few and minor: the cabview is very, very good, but not as good as the exterior. The conductor view is pretty ho-hum. The sounds were too loud in the cab--easily fixed in the .sms file. I question whether the sounds are completely accurate for the "H" model prime mover, but there are so few decent recordings of them (and I only saw them in the flesh about 3 times--more about that in a minute) that I really don't know. The sounds are smooth, though, with none of the choppiness during throttle up or down that is so common in many sound files.

Scott has built a beautiful model of a locomotive that has pretty much disappeared. I talked to a friend who is a UP engineer about the SD90AC yesterday. After he quit swearing, he proceeded to tell me what a pile of junk they were--extremely unreliable (his comment: "If I had one in the consist, I knew I could count on it 'laying down' on me somewhere on my trip."). He said a GE AC4400 would outpull them "every time." So, this less than favorable locomotive model will now live on mostly in MSTS, thanks to Diesels West.

There are so many things that I wish Scott would do for models--I think his work has now raised the bar for everybody. Good job, Scott!

what kind of horns did diesels west use on their sd90macs?

thanks,

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Yes,it looks very nice but I do question the wisdom of expending all that energy on a model which is already available via the SLI UP loco pack and in the real world which was a comparitive failure and not now in use.As a supporter of DW I should like to see the older models upgraded and something new produced which is not available elsewhere.
    Re sounds,there are clips of them on You tube and to me they sound very much like a big modern GE.

Who cares about what SLI has done and what DW does.I gather you don't have them Ragtimer so if thats true then why make comments you can't support other than listening to a sound clip on Youtube.The generic engine( GE ) thats what reminds me of SLI as everything is the same.
    Work Safe play hard

No disrespect to SLI--they have some very good models, but DW just takes it to a higher level. Examples: Detailed cab interiors--Scott even has it so the displays in the cab glow at night, and, yes there are seats in there; lighting--he has all of the step lights, truck lights, etc.--even has the little "hoodies" over the truck lights. Tons of little details like that which SLI and many other modelers just don't bother with. I'll just say it--his locos have better overall detail than most anything else out there right now.

By the way, Scott just sent a "special addition" SD9043MAC out. I'm going to try it out momentarily. That should answer of the criticisms of him modeling a "dead" real-world loco model. There are lots of 4,300 hp MAC's out there still earning their keep. I saw about 10 of 'em on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by ragtimer View Post
    there are clips of them on You tube and to me they sound very much like a big modern GE.
    That's probably because the SD90MAC/SD90MAC-H used EMD's 265H engine, a 4-stroke engine similar to what GE uses. And just because they aren't around in the "real world" doesn't mean people don't want them in their simulator world. Also, the SLI model is very different in the engine compartment section, as that is an SD90/43AC. Scott modeled the full 6000hp version locomotive. To continue, so what if SLI created their own version? Do you throw up the same gripe whenever someone builds a new SD40-2 or C44-9W or ES44? Take a look around at how many SD40-2 models we have from different vendors. While I to hope Scott plans on upgrading his old U-boat models, I still like the direction he's going in, releasing variations of other-wise common models. Heck, SLI still has yet to come out with an AC44 with radial-steering trucks, a GP40/GP40-2 or anything GE pre C40-8... His SP sets are dearly needed. MLT's models were good for their time, but the "standard level of detail" has been increased dramatically since they've come out, and it's time for change.
    Thom
    <b><font size=1><font color=Navy><a href=http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t159/CRQ5508/Random%20Stuff/CRQ5508.jpg target=_blank>http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...ff/CRQ5508.jpg</a></font></font></b>
    Norfolk Southern: It looks like Darth Vader on rails to me.

I think these S90 beasts are outstanding. I was wondering if the height (as in too tall) is right though? I also have D\W's upgraded UP AC4400CW locos & when placing them reversed behind the SD90 the height difference is noticeable. What do you guys think?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TGM View Post
    I think these S90 beasts are outstanding. I was wondering if the height (as in too tall) is right though? I also have D\W's upgraded UP AC4400CW locos & when placing them reversed behind the SD90 the height difference is noticeable. What do you guys think?

Tom

Its a well-known issue with most DW widenose EMDs. Been that way for years, and the concern seems to fall on deaf ears.

Compare the door handle height

Compare the top of the front horizontal handrails with bottom of the numberboards

Compare the top of the numberboards with the first inward bend of the sides of the nose.

Attachment 37692

Yeah, I see what you mean. I might have a play with SFM & try & scale them down a bit.

Tom

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

Oh,pardon me for breathing!!!