Thread: Speedlimit Dial

Default Speedlimit Dial

Has anyone ever been able to get the "Speedlimit" display for cab views to work? It's listed in the BIN Manual, describing the .CVF entry as follows:

Speed limit (current
    (only for signal lights)

Dial (
    Type ( SPEEDLIMIT DIAL )
    Position ( 276 274 60 60 )
    Graphic ( "..//..//common.cab//cab814//M3.ace" )
    Style ( NEEDLE )
    ScaleRange ( 0 110 )
    ScalePos ( 240 135 )
    Units ( KM_PER_HOUR )
    Pivot ( 30 )
    DirIncrease ( 0 )
    )
    and here are the lines I'm using:

Dial (
    Type ( SPEEDLIMIT DIAL )
    Position ( 69 146 7 30 )
    Graphic ( RedNeed.ace )
    Style ( NEEDLE )
    ScaleRange ( 0 110 )
    ScalePos ( 228.0 129.25 )
    Units ( MILES_PER_HOUR )
    Pivot ( 27 )
    DirIncrease ( 0 )
    )
    When I use it, with BIN version "1.8.052113", it only ever registers zero. I tested it with two prior versions of BIN as well before this. Having read the release notes, I observed that it says "1.7.102222 Speed limit indication repaired" and "1.8.010516 Speed limit on RP indication repaired, steam loco cyl_cocks with bell crash fixed.", so I assumed that moving up to 1.8.010516 (from 1.7.051922, which I've used for at least 3 years) would have caused it to function, it did not, and then to 1.8.052113, which also obviously didn't work. I'm testing it out in a 'known good' piece of rolling stock on a 'known good' activity on the NECv4. I just added it to the cab view to test it as I was trying to understand it's function for potential use in a new cab view I'm creating (it didn't work in the new cab view, so I figured I'd test it in a cab view I was confident had no "issues").

I did repeated searches of the forum here and UKTrainSim, but have not been able to really find an answer to it. The posts discussing this display talk about how it didn't work prior to 1.7.092915, but none address the function of this display after that. Did folks just give up on it? Was this one of the things that was still on George's to do list?

I'd never rule out that I'm missing something, but I'm stumped. I had a really nifty idea for using this function, if it worked, on this new cab view I'm working on...

Steve

I've never had the few cabs that I do have with a speed limit display work. Mine only display the max speed the route is set at and it never changes. It would be nice to have working displays. Good luck.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mestevet View Post
    Has anyone ever been able to get the "Speedlimit" display for cab views to work? It's listed in the BIN Manual, describing the .CVF entry as follows:

and here are the lines I'm using:

When I use it, with BIN version "1.8.052113", it only ever registers zero. I tested it with two prior versions of BIN as well before this. Having read the release notes, I observed that it says "1.7.102222 Speed limit indication repaired" and "1.8.010516 Speed limit on RP indication repaired, steam loco cyl_cocks with bell crash fixed.", so I assumed that moving up to 1.8.010516 (from 1.7.051922, which I've used for at least 3 years) would have caused it to function, it did not, and then to 1.8.052113, which also obviously didn't work. I'm testing it out in a 'known good' piece of rolling stock on a 'known good' activity on the NECv4. I just added it to the cab view to test it as I was trying to understand it's function for potential use in a new cab view I'm creating (it didn't work in the new cab view, so I figured I'd test it in a cab view I was confident had no "issues").

I did repeated searches of the forum here and UKTrainSim, but have not been able to really find an answer to it. The posts discussing this display talk about how it didn't work prior to 1.7.092915, but none address the function of this display after that. Did folks just give up on it? Was this one of the things that was still on George's to do list?

I'd never rule out that I'm missing something, but I'm stumped. I had a really nifty idea for using this function, if it worked, on this new cab view I'm working on...

Steve
    Here is one from one of my F Units. I am using bin 1.7.051922 and this cab works. I often run just by watching gauges in cab rather than track monitor.

Dial (
    Type ( SPEEDOMETER DIAL )
    Position ( 91 37 6 41 )
    Graphic ( "..\\..\\Common.Cab\\Generic Eng Cabs\\FE Standard\\Cabview\\SL-needle.ace" )
    Style ( NEEDLE )
    ScaleRange ( 0 80 )
    ScalePos ( 239 121 )
    Units ( MILES_PER_HOUR )
    Pivot ( 28 )
    DirIncrease ( 0 )
    )

Could the Type line be the issue?

That appears to be a standard "SPEEDOMETER" type display, which has always worked as advertised for me. The SPEEDOMETER display will only display the actual speed of the locomotive, not the signal speed. No, what I'm talking about is the "SPEEDLIMIT" type, which is supposed to display the signal speed in the cab (as opposed to the track monitor), and was shown in the BIN documentation as an added feature. There is another type of display, the "SPEEDLIM_DISPLAY", which was part of the original MSTS, and which also appears to have never functioned correctly - I've been trying that one too.

I was thinking that perhaps the "monitors" section in the .ENG file might have some influence over the function of such a display, but I've found no references to this in any documentation or forum.

I'm trying to get a digital display in a modern locomotive cab to function closer to reality, and I have a very neat trick that would work perfectly, IF this display would actually display the signal speed. Please note, that I already have 3 functioning speedometer displays in the locomotive, that's not my problem.

Steve

Steve, If this function reads Signal Speed limits it wont work on the nec4 as I removed all speed limits from the signal scripts (with a couple of exceptions on the B&O dwarfs and zero for the absolute red), figuring the engineer is supposed to know signal indication speed limits.
    That plus the fact of not properly resetting the speed limit when the train clears an interlocking, instead requiring the next signal to do the speed limit reset.
    Last edited by Vince; 12-02-2010 at 04:08 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Well that points out another limitation of these speed limit type displays (in support of some of the searches and reading I've been doing today), their function is going to depend on how a route's signals are set up too. So my little cab view trick is only going to work if the route the loco is run on is set up the right way...

It's confusing though, I wish there was more documentation on cab views and their parameters, both from the original MSTS, and from BIN - the short statement in the BIN "Manual" really doesn't tell you how it was intended to function.

Steve

{what I was trying to do was use this display as a mask of another display that shows the amount of "overspeed" you are over the current signal speed. If these displays worked the way I perceive they should, it would be possible to do this}
    Last edited by mestevet; 12-02-2010 at 04:40 PM.