Thread: Steam engine controller for MSTS

Default Steam engine controller for MSTS

For anybody interested in how to build your own controller and creating an interface with MSTS... http://mstscontroller.magix.net/public/index.htm

Hope this is of some interest!

Quote Originally Posted by steamsimmer View Post
    For anybody interested in how to build your own controller and creating an interface with MSTS... http://mstscontroller.magix.net/public/index.htm

Hope this is of some interest!

Can you imagine the size of the J bar if someone were to build one to scale like the real steamers? That could be huge!
    Edwin

Interesting project with elegant solutions for the various controls.

The water level indicator is brilliant! A mechanical device using real water, controlled by a servo. He mentioned the evaporation problem. I would extend a second flex tube from the top (hidden like the other tube ) through the upper mount, and then upward behind the bulkhead, and cap it with an unpressurized balloon. This would create a closed system to thwart evaporation without affecting the water action.

I would have used an Analog Control for the whistle instead of a Discrete Control. This could allow an external device to create the whistle sound and get around all the shortcomings of the MSTS horn. This could give the player complete control of the horn timing. The tone could be altered in proportion to the amount the cord is pulled. A discrete parameter could still be passed to MSTS to create an action event when running an activity.

Dennis

"I 'tawt I 'taw a Tessie tat!"

Conrail Tweety

Thanks, Im going for the top pipe idea with a tap to turn venting on and off whenever I run a simulation.
    Its even better to see in reality when the water bobs up and down with the track gradient and injectors!

Sounds have yet to be sorted. I have plans to move some of the operating sounds out of MSTS to another application of some sort. For example I will have a speaker in my brake valve so the sound comes from the valve itself. My main problem is getting the chuff of the engine to increase in volume with the regulator position, its a real shame MSTS doesnt do this. But i have no idea how the sounds work or if this can be done. Any ideas?

Regards, Steve.