Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SP GP40-2 Speedletter

Default SP GP40-2 Speedletter

Here's an idea I thought I'd just throw out there...

How about a repaint of Justin Cornell's MSTS Chessie GP40-2 model into an (unpatched) Southern Pacific speedletter? If I'm remembering correctly, I think SP's GP40-2 were among the first to receive the new speedletter paint scheme (possibly when Morrison-Knudsen rebuilt them in Boise?) Here are some example photos:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=130193
    http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=81512
    http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=77933
    http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=19200

(A freight anim would probably need to be set up for the roof details & snowplow.)

I'd attempt the project myself, but unfortunately I'm short on free time at the moment (and my effort would not likely look nearly as good as the fine repaints many of you release!)

Just an idea I had (in case someone was bored and really needed something to do)...if no one bites, it makes no real difference to me!
    Last edited by paulytechnic; 01-19-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: edit URLs
    Paul
    Virtual Groundskeeper

Well...

You did call for unpatched, and on a different model.
    So I guess this excludes the KLW GP40-2 model I painted into SP with UP patches.

LOL...sorry about that, Shawn!

Actually, the KLW is also a nice model...so that wouldn't be bad, either. I mainly suggested Justin's model since it's slightly newer and with larger default textures (which may or may not be an issue), but I'm not sure which one would be prototypically closer to the SP units.

As for me requesting it unpatched...I guess I'm a bit of an Espee purist (although, technically, "pure" Espee would be before the DRGW takeover). In my opinion, armour yellow never looked quite right over lark gray.
    Paul
    Virtual Groundskeeper

Quote Originally Posted by paulytechnic View Post
    LOL...sorry about that, Shawn!

I guess I'm a bit of an Espee purist. In my opinion, armour yellow never looked quite right over lark gray.
    You can say that again!

John DeLamater

Wouldn't the easiest way to obtain these would be to use the MLT SP Heritage GP40-2 and repaint the textures into the speed lettering style. No need for an FA as the model has all of the appropriate SP details.

The Diesels West SP Pack #1 includes GP40-2's. Perhaps those could be repainted/renumbered.

http://www.dieselswest.com/SPpack1release.htm
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

Actually, I was primarily looking for just 1 (maybe 2) locos, and while that SP Pack #1 does look nice (REALLY nice, actually), it's a little bit more elaborate than I was looking for. Unfortunately, it's also a bit beyond my current budget (for both the money to purchase and the time to repaint). In other circumstances, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on that pack!

(Speaking of Diesels West, I noticed they're working on SP Pack #3, which seems like it could be interesting. The picture shows speedletter locos, although they appear to be GEs, so we'll see what the pack actually has in it.)

The initial motivation for my suggestion was to take advantage of Justin's excellent model that recently surfaced, but unfortunately it's probably more effort than it's worth to setup the FA for the details (especially when more appropriate models that require fewer modifications already exist).

Or maybe it would be easier to break out the acetone and "depatch" Shawn's KLW model?

I may need to go back to the drawing board...maybe I'll eventually bite the bullet and go with one of the previously mentioned payware products and reskin it when I have time. Both the DW and MLT sets look very tempting!

Of course, while it's not even remotely a GP40-2, I suppose there's always the SLI GP60 model, if I wanted 4-axle SP speedletter power that's ready-to-run out of the box.
    Paul
    Virtual Groundskeeper

Paul,
    I actually did a UP set of GP40-2's. Three for D&RGW; Three for SP; and four for UP. But I haven't messed with the numbers and F/A's yet. Maybe someday, I or someone, can depatch the SP units, if I actually get to releasing many items that have been back dated for release..

Shawn,

That UP set does sound nice (even with the patches...lol! )

That might indeed be a good starting point for later SP depatches, once you're able to release the UP set.

On a side note, and speaking of DRGW geeps, I really enjoy that KLW DRGW GP60 set you released...I run those a lot!
    Paul
    Virtual Groundskeeper

Quote Originally Posted by apco25 View Post
    Wouldn't the easiest way to obtain these would be to use the MLT SP Heritage GP40-2 and repaint the textures into the speed lettering style. No need for an FA as the model has all of the appropriate SP details.
    Using that pack would be too much work, as well as the DW set. It would defiantly require a much more elaborate FA as Paul is referring to the MK rebuilds of the 1990s which do not have the SP Light Packages.
    Last edited by nat; 01-19-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Optional
    Southern Pacific Transportation Company