Thread: Can't couple to cars

Default Can't couple to cars

I'm testing out a activity for the NCRR route, and it involves alot of switching on mainline industries. However, I get to a point in the activity where I have a cut of cars that's stop within a signal block. When I couple to the cars, I get a alert saying I passed a stop signal, but the nearest signal is 0.4 miles once coupled. In short, MSTS is not letting me couple to my cars when it's blocking 2 signals or more, and our wonderful dispatcher thinks a train is near, but it's really not. Can someone help me

If you are happy working with the Route Editor, go to where your problem is and check where the signal marker (the red coloured object in the centre of the track) is. Perhaps it is actually some distance away from the visible signal ?

Steve.

It sounds to me that you have left some cars lets say on a siding, then had to take the cars down the mainline to the next spur track, then you drop off the cars, but when you try to go back to reconnect to your train you can't. Is that your problem? Just remember sometimes you have to bdrop your train to where they are on both sides of the signals--one signal is for the train going forward and then the other signal is for the train when you back up to pick up the train. If that is the case, then you have to drop your cars so that you don't have to go past the signals going backwards to get your cars. Sometimes that means letting your train sit on the mainline and block its usage by any AI trains while you go off on some siding to do some switching. The only way around that is to use reverse points, but you still would not permit any AI traffic.

Bob Edwards

Bob Edwards

Yep that was my problem, my working sidings were on main 1, so I left the rest of my train on main 2 as I only took the cars needed to set off. That way, any AI trains can crossover from 2 to 1 and vice versa since the signals are at a control point and it's double crossovers.