Thread: Achtung, Panzer !

Talking Achtung, Panzer !

Maybe you're familiar with the German tank models for MSTS from the website Schlachtensee, but they are all from the WWII era.

I was looking for Bundeswehr panzers and vehicles for MSTS, but found none, so I converted some shapes by myself for use in the train simulator. I have yet to break the shapes up into smaller subobjects to make them load into MSTS, but in OR v0.645 they work flawlessly already !

This panzer transport train is also the test train which I used for the DynamicShadows test series, by the way.

It's interesting to note that the framerates are not affected by the polygon-heavy trainset - I get identical framerates with a single simple locomotive on the same route ! OR offers great and unprecedented possibilities for high-polygon models, both moving and static, I suppose.

Now the pictures - the setting is in rural Germany, somewhere on the Biggetal route (edition 2006 by GR German Railroads), in the early 1970s.

Two locomotives on each end, both of the 211 type, which is a 1,100hp BoBo diesel-hydraulic locomotive (the German Bundesbahn almost had no diesel-electric locos) - which has long been one of the mainstays of the Bundesbahn on non-electrified smaller and medium routes, but now mostly retired, scrapped or sold to other railroads.

The tanks are Marder Schuetzenpanzer (infantry tanks) with 20mm autocannon, 7.62mm coaxial and 7.62mm commander MG, 600hp engine and 37.5 tons weight.

Note on the pic: The loco got cut off, since I wanted that angle for the tanks - if OR had a feature permitting the camera to be moved sideways I could have made a better shot. Maybe this could be added sometime ? OK, it's not a priority issue, I know ...

The Wolf, a military jeep built by Mercedes. The civilian version is known as the Mercedes-Benz G class. 90 hp diesel engine, no armor, but all-terrain capable !

Pulling out of the station !

Panzer train at full steam ahead !

The Marder tank can not only be used as a FreightAnim on flat wagons, but also be driven like a diesel locomotive on the trackbed !

I did this just for the hell of it, in reality it's possible but the tank commander would get himself into a load of trouble if he did it, for damaging the tracks and endangering the train traffic ! But whatever, in OR he gets away with it !

Horridoh !

Last edited by GoGoran; 03-11-2011 at 11:54 PM.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic164208_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoran View Post
    Note on the pic: The loco got cut off, since I wanted that angle for the tanks - if OR had a feature permitting the camera to be moved sideways I could have made a better shot. Maybe this could be added sometime ? OK, it's not a priority issue, I know ...
    I don't know what your problem is, the cameras have huge ranges of movement and there is nothing preventing you moving the camera where you want. Arrow keys and page up/down both with and without Alt provide a total of 5 axis of movement and rotation for camera #2 and #3.
    James Ross
    Open Rails Management Team

Quote Originally Posted by twpol View Post
    I don't know what your problem is, the cameras have huge ranges of movement and there is nothing preventing you moving the camera where you want. Arrow keys and page up/down both with and without Alt provide a total of 5 axis of movement and rotation for camera #2 and #3.
    It's only a very minor problem, and maybe you misunderstood me. Imagine I would have had a widescreen monitor, then - with everything else being identical - the loco would still be in the picture. That's what I mean with "sideways movement" - offsetting the camera to the right or left without changing the angle - or would that be a fisheye ? Never mind.

The cameras are indeed quite good as they are. Except for the zooming-out range, which could be a little further - compare it to the BinPatch-cameras 2 and 3. But apart from that I'm quite satisfied with them. Oh, and the whole train should pass on camera 4, but you're already working on that one, I know.
    Last edited by GoGoran; 03-12-2011 at 08:49 AM.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic164208_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoran View Post
    It's only a very minor problem, and maybe you misunderstood me. Imagine I would have had a widescreen monitor, then - with everything else being identical - the loco would still be in the picture. That's what I mean with "sideways movement" - offsetting the camera to the right or left without changing the angle - or would that be a fisheye ? Never mind.
    I still think you've not understood how to use the cameras. If you literally want to move left/right, use camera 8 (pause the game if necessary). Obviously cameras 2 and 3 are anchored to the cars but you could still easily position it where you wanted.
    James Ross
    Open Rails Management Team