Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CNW Harvard - Progress Report

Default CNW Harvard - Progress Report

Not a lot of progress in the past three months, but there will be an update coming out in the next couple of weeks.

*** Mainline signals are back between Janesville and Downtown Chicago, and also along the New Line into Proviso.

*** In order to be more Open Rails compatible in the future, I'm eliminating all of the default Kuju scenery objects, and replacing with freeware items; the intent is to be able to run the route using only OR, and not relying on anything from the default routes

*** The most visible victim of the default scenery purge has been trees.... I'm replacing with forest objects as time permits. I know some people don't like them, but get over it. It's my route...

No timeline as of yet other than between now and the end of April....

In order to be more Open Rails compatible in the future, I'm eliminating all of the default Kuju scenery objects, and replacing with freeware items; the intent is to be able to run the route using only OR, and not relying on anything from the default routes
    So this means that in order to run the route in the future, I would have to install open rails. Correct?

Uchuu Senkan Yaamaatoo~
    --Anime Fan, Railfan, Aviation Fan, Aerospace fan, Amateur Astronomer, History Buff--
    Youtube Channel-- https://www.youtube.com/user/Amtrak712

A route that doesn't have proprietary MSTS assets can be installed without MSTS and run with Open Rails. I run both of Andre Ming's Ozark routes in directory with only Global with the Xtracks data and a Sound file directory.

Harold

Quote Originally Posted by Amtrak71 View Post
    So this means that in order to run the route in the future, I would have to install open rails. Correct?
    Entirely incorrect. If you have MSTS, the route will work just fine now and in the future.

Once the removal of default objects is complete, if you have only installed OR, you can run the route without ever having purchased and installed MSTS. Or you can just run it in MSTS and not notice a thing.

There's rumors of M$FT considering re-distributing v1.4, but it's still a ten year old software package, and it's increasingly more difficult (and expensive) for newcomers to find and procure. That's why I'm doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Entirely incorrect. If you have MSTS, the route will work just fine now and in the future.

Once the removal of default objects is complete, if you have only installed OR, you can run the route without ever having purchased and installed MSTS. Or you can just run it in MSTS and not notice a thing.

There's rumors of M$FT considering re-distributing v1.4, but it's still a ten year old software package, and it's increasingly more difficult (and expensive) for newcomers to find and procure. That's why I'm doing this.
    Are you aware of this project?: http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtop...11495&start=75
    Regards,

Eric

Thank you for the update.
    Other than the forests (which I will personally replace), I like the direction you are taking, and look forward to getting the next upgrade.

I am unclear - would this be a final BETA, or do you have a larger list of things to accomplish prior to a final releases? Please don't confuse my inquiry with a "when will it be done" type question, I was just trying to understand where you are at in terms of what phase of build you consider this next release.

Thanks much,

Neil
    Last edited by qballbandit; 03-23-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Tough question, Neil... There's always something to tweak a little further...

But yes, I think this will likely be the last of the betas... As far as I'm concerned, the track & signals are done, and that's the stuff that truly needs testing.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Tough question, Neil... There's always something to tweak a little further...

But yes, I think this will likely be the last of the betas... As far as I'm concerned, the track & signals are done, and that's the stuff that truly needs testing.
    Especially with my perfectionist nature for Arlington Heights.. Eric, Neil, if either of you have any sort of interest in Arlington Park Horse track you will be happy to know that since my fiance works there during the season, she will be getting modeling shots for me and I will be creating a brand-new, as realistic as possible model for it.. Eric, do you still want me to install the Green line and make a model for O'hare? I noticed in my most recent update that you were extending the line into Proviso, don't know if you released an update that had it finished though..
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there's footsteps on the moon..

--Josh--

It's good to see a dedicated team spirit taking place around this route.
    Can't tell you how exciting it is to see home town stuff coming to fruition!

Sure, AP is a real landmark on this line - git 'er done!

Thanks guys, job well done and very appreciated.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    git 'er done!
    finally! A language i understand!!!!!!!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there's footsteps on the moon..

--Josh--