Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best suitable CPU for MSTS

>3. And finally, I JUST WANTED A NEW CPU, NOT A NEW COMPUTER.

It is not worth changing CPU, the change will not give any useful increase FPS.

Cheers
    Derek
    Cheers
    Derek

Okay, I can understand that, but I still can't get a new computer, because my parents said I can only get a CPU.
    The thought of me telling them "Can I get a new computer." won't turn out great. I'll get a new computer in the future, but right now, I have to be with the one I have now.
    And don't ask me to say anything to my parents(I know you guys wouldnt) but I'm just saying that, just in case you do ask.

Uchuu Senkan Yaamaatoo~
    --Anime Fan, Railfan, Aviation Fan, Aerospace fan, Amateur Astronomer, History Buff--
    Youtube Channel-- https://www.youtube.com/user/Amtrak712

Hello, I just thought that I would suggest Speccy to view system specs: http://www.filehippo.com/download_speccy
    Its really straightforward to use, and should give you all the necessary information right on the main summary page that appears when you load it up. You can look at CPU and motherboard.

As others have mentioned, upgrading just a CPU can be tricky. Often, different generations of processors use different sockets. If you want to upgrade to the latest Intel processor, you'll need a completely new motherboard, and likely new RAM, as I believe all Pentium D's use the socket 775, which is unfortunately now outdated . If you are keen set on upgrading only the CPU though still, there are still some nice CPUs that use the 775 socket that are readily available. We'll just need to make sure that your motherboard is still fully compatible, as I believe some newer chips require newer memory standards as well, but it should be doable. As GoGoran mentioned, MSTS should benefit most from pure clock-rate rather than more cores, as I believe MSTS is only single-threaded (runs on only one CPU core). And, as was also mentioned, newer generations of chips do have updated instructions sets which actually increase process speed beyond the simple clock rate as well.

If you're updating from a 2.80 GHz Pentium D (which is Intel's first (?) dual core) on the 775 socket, you could go with the Core 2 Duos, or Core 2 Quads, which are both rated upwards of 3.0 GHz (I believe the quad core is topped around 3.0 even and the dual cores up to 3.3?). Personally, I'm running an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.16 GHz and MSTS hasn't been slowing it down. Though if you are coming from 2.80 GHz, you may not actually see that much of a difference...

Perhaps a more beneficial upgrade would be a new video card? They are much easier to replace, and can be had at around the same price. I'm not sure, but if I had to guess, I would say that MSTS is more GPU (video card) dependent rather than CPU dependent (can someone verify?). Just something to think about.

Sorry for the long post, and I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jetpak12 View Post
    I'm not sure, but if I had to guess, I would say that MSTS is more GPU (video card) dependent rather than CPU dependent (can someone verify?). Just something to think about.
    Most people tend to say the opposite. In my opinion, both CPU and GPU are important for MSTS. You won't see much if any performance increase if you switch from an older upper-middle-class card to a newer one, e.g. an Ati HD4870 to a new HD6850, though - but upgrading from a HD4350 budget card to a newer and mid-range HD5850 will give you a good boost.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic164208_1.gif

Amtrak71 if you post the specs for your computer,

IE: brand and model of the computer itself, and if you ran the program that someone above linked to post what it says your current cpu and motherboard is plus how much ram you have. That will go along ways towards us helping you make the correct decision, I do not trust what the techs at the big box stores say, mainly at least the ones in my area are told like any other salesman in any other business to sell add-ons and they do that all the time to folks who only know how to use programs but do not understand computers themselves. Now if you are taking to a locally own computer tech store that you trust I be more likely to trust their opinion.

anyway we wait to hear back has to what your specs are.

Hello Jacob (Jetpak12),
    Actually MSTS is much more CPU dependent than GPU dependent, especially clock speed of the CPU. For example, an Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 and an Nvidia 7800 GT will peg the 60 fps limit of MSTS on many routes. For just MSTS, an Intel E8700 and an Nvidia 9800 GT would probably be about as good on MSTS as any CPU/GPU combo. Later 200 series and beyond do not perform as well on MSTS as the older cards.
    Some guidelines, 128 bit cards are not going to perform as well as 256 bit cards on MSTS. Use the CPU with the most clock speed, multiple cores want make much difference (only a slight improvement if you run other things such as AV software in the background).

For example, an Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 and an Nvidia 7800 GT will peg the 60 fps limit of MSTS on many routes. For just MSTS, an Intel E8700 and an Nvidia 9800 GT would probably be about as good on MSTS as any CPU/GPU combo.

Actually I just got done testing the performance of a Core 2 Q9650, 4 GB of RAM and a Nvidia 8800 Ultra setup against one of my i7 setups ( i7 975X, 6 GB of RAM, and this time with a ATI 4870x2 instead of my 5870) with MSTS and OpenRails with Windows XP/SP2 64-bit and Windows 7 64.

With the Feather River Route the Core 2 got clobbered by the i7 based setup. With everything at its highest settings in MSTS (including dynamic shadows) the i7 consistently outperformed the Core 2 based machine significantly. As expected maxing out the AA with the 4870x2 and switching from Cross Fire enabled to disabled had no impact what so ever on performance with MSTS, just another example of how CPU dependent MSTS is.

Iíll put up some screen shots when I get a chance.

Later 200 series and beyond do not perform as well on MSTS as the older cards.

Not anymore, that problem has been fixed with the new 270.51 drivers. The 580 GTX now performs just as good as the 8800 Ultra (and ATI 5870) with MSTS -

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...GT-vs.-GTX-460
    Asus Maximus VI Extreme Intel Z87, Intel Core i7-4770K, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB PC3-19200 (2400MHz), EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN SuperClocked, Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB SSD (Windows 8.1 Pro 64)/Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD (Programs), CaseLabs Merlin SM8 with Corsair AX1200 PSU

Quote Originally Posted by conrail1 View Post
    Not anymore, that problem has been fixed with the new 270.51 drivers. The 580 GTX now performs just as good as the 8800 Ultra (and ATI 5870) with MSTS -

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...GT-vs.-GTX-460
    I can confirm that MSTS FPS went up by 3x with the new drivers on my 470 Fermi card
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Quote Originally Posted by longiron View Post
    I can confirm that MSTS FPS went up by 3x with the new drivers on my 470 Fermi card
    Same here with the 580 GTX and my 480 GTX, I wasnít even getting half of the frame rate before that Iím seeing now with the 270.51 drivers and MSTS.

On another subject I did see a very significant performance increase with OpenRails with Cross Fire enabled on the ATI 4870x2. Switching between Cross Fire disabled and Alternate Frame Rendering using Radeon Pro almost doubled the performance in some situations. So far it does look like OpenRails is benefiting from multiple GPUís.

Iíll be posting some comparison screen shots with the ATI 4870x2 in the OR section when I get a chance.
    Asus Maximus VI Extreme Intel Z87, Intel Core i7-4770K, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB PC3-19200 (2400MHz), EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN SuperClocked, Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB SSD (Windows 8.1 Pro 64)/Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD (Programs), CaseLabs Merlin SM8 with Corsair AX1200 PSU

Default ?

Quote Originally Posted by conrail1 View Post
    Actually I just got done testing the performance of a Core 2 Q9650, 4 GB of RAM and a Nvidia 8800 Ultra setup against one of my i7 setups ( i7 975X, 6 GB of RAM, and this time with a ATI 4870x2 instead of my 5870) with MSTS and OpenRails with Windows XP/SP2 64-bit and Windows 7 64.

With the Feather River Route the Core 2 got clobbered by the i7 based setup. With everything at its highest settings in MSTS (including dynamic shadows) the i7 consistently outperformed the Core 2 based machine significantly.

That comparison is useless if you don't tell us what clockrates the CPUs had.

As expected maxing out the AA with the 4870x2 and switching from Cross Fire enabled to disabled had no impact what so ever on performance with MSTS, just another example of how CPU dependent MSTS is.
    MSTS cannot take advantage of the HD38xx/48xx X2 cards. Only one GPU is used. Some users reported that they even had to switch CrossFire off to even get MSTS to work with their X2 cards. That's why I will only buy single-GPU solutions for use with MSTS.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic164208_1.gif