Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Assorted fiddlefaddling and tinkering with periods of lollygagging

Red face Assorted fiddlefaddling and tinkering with periods of lollygagging

Haven't posted much the last couple months, as usual spent much of the winter getting lots of exercise without moving around (shivering!). Between bouts of hypothermia I made a whole bunch of false starts trying to create the NorthWestern, with the usual problems involving lack of assets and/or faulty assets.

Now that spring is finally upon us (altho snow is forecast for this weekend, I love Wisconsin - in the summertime!) I decided to give up, the project is too much like work. So I'm starting the Chicago Metro now, a fictional route which will attempt to capture the flavor of the C&NW while playing fast and loose with the prototype. Trying to do the prototype I had in mind is impossible anyway, most of the industry and associated spurs from the 1950s are long gone and so are some of the mainline tracks.

This is my primary focus, 40th Street Yard on the west side, the red X is where the apartment block I lived in as a kid used to be. All the factories and industry spurs are gone now.

Western Avenue Interlocking - used to have 5 major railroads running thru here, with an average of one train movement every 90 seconds.

Again, just trying to capture the flavor without trying too hard to be true to the prototype - the way Trainz does slip switches there's no way to get them all in.

Looking east toward where downtown will be.

Main difficulty is viaducts, most of the line from downtown Chicago to Maywood is on a dirt filled concrete retaining wall, with embankments where the spurs used to be, running down to grade level at 40th Street Yard.

More progress shots as I get them, this will be long and tedious.

I've been worried about you! My normal check-in procedure is to do a search for you for a couple weeks or a month and it had been comming up with nothing. I thought the search engine was broken!

I've been driving PortOgden&Northern2a intensely, trying to develope my own ultimate session. I am really upset that " Oil Field A " seems to be broaken in both versions of the route.

I have, however, come to realize that the problem with configuring the MIN industries is to not touch the box in the upper right corner that seems to give the option of working in the route or session layers. It seems counter intuitive that when one changes the default " Route Layer " selection to " Session Layer " it seems to prevent the saving of session only. By not changing it I can then save the session without saving the route. You guys were probably trying to tell me that a couple months ago and I just was not getting it and then when I realized what was going on, I tried it and then was too busy to check in and thank you guys!

Thanks, guys!!!

After going back and using this new approach, I have most of the industries configured for something but I am discovering that some like Oil Field A just don't want to work.

I am kind of ticked-off because I have to import oil from over seas instead of being selfsufficient like our country should be!

Wild Willy the Wacko

Well, don't tell Dugan, his solution would involve blowing something up.

Last major hurdle now is finding EL track support girders that look like the real thing;

Especially here at Brachs, where the Belt Line goes over the C&NW and the El goes over the Belt Line, raising the top one some 40 odd feet above street level.

Default Unreasonable facsimile

At long last, something that closely (close enough for freeware) resembles CTA tracks;

Lot of tinkering involved with that, cloned the "Austin Heavy Steel Bridge" and hacked the config.txt to use the "NS Girder Bridge" tracks, and found a support spline that will work for the curvy parts and higher elevations. Now the trick is running them thru the content mangler to get up to a version the download station will accept.

Default *%#&@$#!

After screwing around with this all winter, I just discovered a fatal bug in the multiplayer beta 46170 surveyor - copy and paste leaves one of the two bridge tracks out, and crashes the program if I try to connect to the faulty pasted clone section. To top it all off it's not backward compatible with 44088, trying to install the route into 44088 screws up all the road intersections and assorted other splines. So obviously there will be further delay since I had to start over from scratch. Couple shots from what I did today;

Toronto station is an unreasonable facsimile, this looking south from Canal and Lake Street where the C&NW crosses over Lake Street with the CTA EL crossing over that.

Clinton Street EL station, with all the difficulty finding suitable objects I'm gonna use a lot of artistic license and skip the center platform stations.

Is that blue and red their real colors! Ouch my eyes!
    George

I heard that, supposed to be royal blue and fire engine red, ended up with some really weird tints due to either the Trainz lighting or the way the mesh for the commuter cars shades the textures. At some point I'll have to come up with better colors for the "Chicago Metro", right now I'm getting sidetracked by the Chicago Elevated - here I'm doing a mixed commuter/freight/switching route and I ended up doing the whole loop, plus the Lake Street line all the way west to Laramie.

Tower 18 at Lake and Wells, for many decades the busiest railroad junction in the world. Primary reason I got fixated on the L here, Trainz AI traffic just might be the one to finally do Tower 18 justice.

Stations don't look much like the real thing, but I can always replace them later. Currently trying to get into the download station, Ben Dorsey made the double deck drawbridge at Wacker & Lake last year so I can use the real thing instead of having to fake it.

Oh, and it's snowing again here today, winter storm warnings in effect until tomorrow, welcome to Wisconsin.
    Last edited by sniper297; 04-20-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Cool Getting there

The period I'm modeling is a long time ago in a galaxy far far away - the unemployment office used to be Seven Up Bottling, the welfare office used to be Simpson Electric, and now Brachs Candy is closed too. So don't expect anything to look like modern day pictures, it's a fictional route - the real thing is too depressing.

Default Here we go Loop De Loop

Got most of the Loop scenicked, using a lot of splines so it don't tank the framerates. That's the big challenge with urban routes, enough detail gets you something that looks great in screenshots but 3FPS when you try to play it. Building splines help a lot.

Cool My Hero, dmdrake!

Started looking at some of the building splines I've been using to keep the framerates up, noticed all were made by dmdrake. So I did a search for that name, got a dozen more building splines to use.