Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good video cards?

Default Good video cards?

I'm in the process of upgrading my computer, and I finally need a new video card. Any suggestions for one that has nice results with MSTS and Railworks? My current card is a nVIDIA GeForce 9200. which is a cheapo stock card. Thanks in advanced!
    What has happened here?

Buy a upper-mid-range card like the Ati HD5770 with at least 1024MB of RAM. No more, no less. A HD5750 will also do if you are on a budget. But don't get another El-Cheapo card, don't be fooled by the "MSTS-is-so-CPU-dependent" crowd !
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic164208_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by lides View Post
    I'm in the process of upgrading my computer, and I finally need a new video card. Any suggestions for one that has nice results with MSTS and Railworks? My current card is a nVIDIA GeForce 9200. which is a cheapo stock card. Thanks in advanced!
    That all depends on the rest of your specs especially the CPU.

As far as image quality goes you'll find Nvidia handling transparency textures a lot better than ATI.

By the way RailWorks and MSTS are very heavily CPU dependent so the biggest impact on performance will come from the CPU.
    Asus Maximus VI Extreme Intel Z87, Intel Core i7-4770K, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB PC3-19200 (2400MHz), EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN SuperClocked, Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB SSD (Windows 8.1 Pro 64)/Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD (Programs), CaseLabs Merlin SM8 with Corsair AX1200 PSU

How much money are you looking to spend? You can find the ATI 5770 online for around $100 after a mail-in rebate, and I'm sure you could find an equivalent from Nvidia for about the same price. I would imagine that the 5770 would run quite well in both games, as I used to have the ATI 4850, which was about the same card in the lineup of the generation before the 5000-series, and it did rather well.

I would also recommend 1GB of video ram, any more isn't really necessary.

My current CPU is a CPU Type DualCore AMD Phenom II X2 Black Edition 560, 800 MHz (4 x 200). It replaced a stock 3 core, I'm looking to replace this with a 3 or 4 core CPU (same type) by within a year. Thanks for the suggestions so far, and my budget is about $150. The only PC games I play are MSTS & Railworks anyways..
    What has happened here?

Seems like the ATI 5770 seems the way to go. Any other suggestions?
    What has happened here?

Seems like the ATI 5770 seems the way to go. Any other suggestions?
    With that CPU the 5770 wouldnít be a bad deal but get ready for the transparency texture shimmer that ATI is known for with RailWorks. You should be able to enable super sampling AA with MSTS but it will cripple performance with that video card in RailWorks.

Considering how my 5870 performs with super sampling AA in RailWorks Iíd look at maybe an Nvidia 460 GTX or 560 instead.
    Asus Maximus VI Extreme Intel Z87, Intel Core i7-4770K, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB PC3-19200 (2400MHz), EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN SuperClocked, Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB SSD (Windows 8.1 Pro 64)/Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD (Programs), CaseLabs Merlin SM8 with Corsair AX1200 PSU

Which kind of 460 GTX? There's GeForce, Galaxy... here's a link: http://www.frys.com/search?query_str...&order_by=p04d
    What has happened here?

Which kind of 460 GTX? There's GeForce, Galaxy... here's a link: http://www.frys.com/search?query_str...&order_by=p04d
    I canít comment on the Galaxy but EVGA, Asus and Gigabyte are known for good quality and I havenít had any bad experiences with them.

I agree with Dan, I always try to go with EVGA. They have a great reputation for warranty and customer service. Any computer part you get, a small percentage will be defective or fail in the first month. A good warranty is always a nice added benefit.
    Here is another possible choice in your price range...EVGA 01G-P3-1557-KR. That is a GTX 550 Ti.
    For ATI here are two candidates in your price range...XFX HD-685X-ZDFC and ASUS EAH6850 DC/2DIS/1GD5/V2, both Radeon HD 6850.
    Now that the new Nvidia drivers are available, I prefer Nvidia, but some like Coke and some like Pepsi.
    Hope this helps.
    BTW, I don't think you have discussed your power supply? Adding more demanding components may "challenge" a low power unit, particularly one that isn't robust in the rails that will feed the CPU and GPU.
    Last edited by plainsman; 04-13-2011 at 08:23 AM.