Thread: SLI SD70ACe Question...

Smile SLI SD70ACe Question...

Hello all, I am working on a KCS SD70ACe on the Streamlines model (BNSF version) and it is one of the Prototypes and I was wondering if there was anyway to remove the frame stripe up by the cab of the engine?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=1697776

If you look below the number, the frame strip is missing and it does not start until you get about a fourth of the way down the fuel tank? Is there a way to alpha this out? Thank you, Daniel

Its not part of the model so you don't "alpha something out" to remove it. Its simply part of the painted texture. From what I can see that detail is only on some BNSF ace repaints done for the MRL version. If you're starting from a blank sd70ace texture then it wont even be on there.

Quote Originally Posted by NSfan66 View Post
    If you look below the number, the frame strip is missing and it does not start until you get about a fourth of the way down the fuel tank? Is there a way to alpha this out? Thank you, Daniel
    The yellow would normally run all the way forward. There is a thin bottom stripe that runs the length of the locomotive under that and it is black. I don't think you'll have any luck trying to alpha that particular piece on an SLI model. You will most likely have to make a new alpha channel texture. Try it though and see what happens...Back up your ACEFILE first in case you "bomb" the texture... You might have to settle for just making the area black. That particular unit is missing sheetmetal, either from maintenance, or a "fender bender"...the pic below shows how the side should appear normally.
    http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...aspx?id=869439
    Last edited by frankoburns; 04-21-2011 at 06:20 PM.
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

Out of curiosity, I tried to alpha out a random section of sheetmetal along the framerail of one of my SLI models using a reskin of one of my BNSF/MRL pack units.....it worked somewhat, BUT since there is only 1 image on the texture map used for both sides of the locomotive, the cut-out section will show up on both sides of the unit..and daylight would be visible from the other side of the unit through the area because of a gap in the model's other textures that the framerail is designed to hide..see pic..
    Last edited by frankoburns; 04-22-2011 at 05:48 PM.
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

Thank you sir, I think I am going to go with the paint it black idea... Thanks for the reply!