Thread: incorporating better wheel / track sounds

Default incorporating better wheel / track sounds

after purchasing the sli streamlines seligman sub and scenic sub routes i noticed their freight cars had excellant track and wheel sounds...so i made alias lines for boxcar-gondola-tank car-piggyback-container etc...and converted all the cars in my trainset by changing the sound line from gen freight 1( or 2-3-4- etc ) to alias the sound folder in the sli.freight folder and was very happy with those results ..however this is tedious work and it seems one could make permanent sound changes to the basic sound folder in the root of the game so as to use the cars as they are when downloaded.

im thinking that after making a backup of the msts sound folder one could copy/paste/overide the sli freight sounds into the sound folder of msts....then rename of sli sms files to the gen freight 1-2-3-4 sms files....after renaming the original gen freight sms files to x.gen freight etc...does this sound correct in theory or am i missing something...
    thanks Bob

I think your theory would work as long as you include the associated .wav files also. I use MC freight sounds that also include the ability to overwrite the default sounds in that same manner. Sure saves changing all the .wag files.

You do not need to include the associated sound files as long as you change the paths in the SMS to reference the proper location. I replaced the default freight sms files with my own ages ago, and the paths look something like this:

File ( "..//trains//trainset//FFX_SOUND//FFX_STOCK//FREIGHT//FR_1.wav" -1 )

As you can see, you need to back up one folder, then go to the trains and trainset subfolders, then find where within the trainset folder the sound files are located, and reference those. Quite simple, really. It looks more complicated than it is.

thanks.......not sure which file ( for example were talking about an sms file in msts main sound folder?? ill need a little more detail...dont see any alias line s in those...) tks bob
    Last edited by rszucco; 04-30-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Stalinist,broke United Kingdom (Hey buddy,can you spare �1.3 trillion?))

The simple way is to put the sounds and sms files into the main MSTS sound folder and you do not then need to "alias" the sounds,simply name the wag sms statement the same as the relevant sms file.

Quote Originally Posted by rszucco View Post
    thanks.......not sure which file ( for example were talking about an sms file in msts main sound folder?? ill need a little more detail...dont see any alias line s in those...) tks bob
    We are not talking about the aliasing of anything. You do not need to copy the associated sound files with the sms files provided the sms files you are copying have the paths in the sound file names set up to account for the new folder. Doing this, with a little study, is easily accomplished in a few moments with a little copying and pasting.

If the sound clips are in the same folder as the SMS file, no path setting is required, however, if the sounds reside in a different folder, setting the paths is required as demonstrated above. This is why none of the sms files you are looking at have paths set in them.

that s what i thought...ill try that after backing up the main sound folder....tks bob

works ....just downloaded some 86ft boxcars....instead of aliasing the sound line in all the wag files left as was....genfrt4.sms etc....assembled a test train and ran it...had the good sli freight wheel/track sounds....now hopefully no more changing individual wag files.....bob