Thread: TIR_500 Loco controls

Question TIR_500 Loco controls

I have been enjoying Paul Charland's Thousand Island Railway route. I have visited Gananoque many times, and the route has captured the old town beautifully. Moving cars around in a route with so many detailed nooks and crannies is great.

I have a question about the TIR_500 locomotive - it works fine, but I notice:
    - the F5 display shows a line "Dynamic brake: Setup"
    - The mouse does not actuate the throttle handle in the Cab view
    - it does not seem to have dynamic brakes, since the usual keyboard controls do not work.

I noticed that the .eng file has a line:
    "Combined_Control( 0 1 0.5 0.5 throttle dynamic )", but there is no declaration of Dynamic controls. I commented out the line, and the line in the F5 display went away, and the loco seems to work all right.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Sid P.

Hi Sid,

I harvested the engine file from one of Dick Cowan's GE 44 tonner, was as close as I could get and it got the 500 on the road. Think this is one of Dick's "off the shelf" engine files and he has disabled the dynamic brakes somewhere else in the file.

Best thing to do is not use F5 I guess... the unit appears to run fine without it!

Paul :-)

Hi Paul:
    Thanks for the reply. I decided to leave the line in the .eng file commented out, because it allows the mouse to control the throttle position.

Sid P.

Oops! I just discovered the new version of the TIR_500.eng file included in a folder in the "Activities" folder of the Thousand Islands Railway (TIR). As well as having modified physics, it does not include the "Combined_Control" line that I commented out in the TIR_500.eng file that I downloaded from MSTS. Sorry that I did not find it earlier! That answers my original question.

The new file has new .sms soundfiles - the sound is great! But the "44Text.sms" includes a reference to "../../common.snd/GNR_COMMON/x_roll_jointed.wav". I managed to find a set of GNR_COMMON sounds in another loco download, but it does not include the "x_roll_jointed.wav" file. Any suggestions where it might be?
    Sid P.