Thread: First impressions of Railworks and 4 axle vs 6 axle Diesels?

Default First impressions of Railworks and 4 axle vs 6 axle Diesels?

Hello, fellow Railworkers,

I am new to this program and I love it so far. Although I am from the Netherlands I have always been fascinated by the colourful US railroads, long trains and big engines from the US. Railworks has a nice mix of the familiar and the new.
    So far I have mostly been exploring the Barstow - San Bernadino mountain pass, running a few scenarios to get my grip on US throttle and brake levers.

What surprises me is that is hardly any difference between 4 and 6 axle Diesels running over railjoints or over frogs, they all produce this loud metallic banging noise. There is a distinctive different 'cadence' between 2 and 3 axle trucks in the prototype.
    Cars passing by sound OK to me, it is just the engines that bother me.

Is is possible to recreate this difference or would it make the sim too loud for most of us?

Bar-San is a bit too modern for my taste, has anybody tried to 'backdate' it to the late fifties - mid seventies, the late steam - early to mid Diesel era? I would like to run UP Big Boys, Turbines and GP30's, Santa Fe war bonnets en blue bonnets and perhaps Madam Queen 2-10-4's.

What annoys me most so far is the strange implementation of dynamic braking. I find it very difficult to maintain constant speed downhill by using dynamics alone. Is only the leading engine braking in a lash-up? There is serious slack action, wheelspin (probably wheels sliding IMO) and very erratic braking. It is useless in this implementation and a top priority fix for me.
    Unlike in Trainz I have not broken a knuckle or had a derailment or runaway - yet -.

__o_OOOO_OOOO_oo-BigBoy_

Track joints and driving over switches sounds have always been sub-standard with train simulators.

MSTS has the best using the add-on RAILWAVES twin-axled bogies track joints sounds I have used to create sounds for trains going over junctions in my MSTS GOLD-SPIKE-X route and have added them to other MSTS routes like the WUPPER-EXPRESS.

Their intervals are variable according to the type of tracks used in a route.

I have posted a video of them and RW-2 ones here in this forum not long ago.

RW-2 has only a trackbed rumble track joints sound, but changing it's interval applies to all tracks using it.

I tried modifying the RW-2 files involved but can see no way to achieve realistic twin-axled track joint sounds, which is what most of rolling stock uses nowadays.

Steam locos are impossible to make them sound as they should when their many axles are going over joints.

As for brakes, what we got is the best RS.com can do so far but there are more important things to be taken care of first.

O t t o

don't forget that most of these things are going to be worked on and improved! the sound is not a big deal for me as i use a new "wagon" sound which fixes that, there are many routes avalable that vary in the time period, such as MCSA has 2 versions (a modern and a steam version). the braking actually usedto be alot worse than it is now, and is still slowly being improved on.

You should be applying dynamic brakes gradually and well below the maximum speed limit. In activities like "Don't stop moving" you have to take a 70 car freight down the pass on the way to victorville. If you apply the dynamics at around 25 and apply them gradually I can get down the entire pass without air and without wheel slippage. It's all on the way you handle your train. From most of the youtube videos I have seen it's pretty clear the people who made those videos are rookies and don't know [email protected] about proper train handling. I've been doing this for almost 10 years now and can tell a rookie from a seasoned vet pretty quickly. For locomotives like the dash 9 the dynamics are notched and too powerful. In the activity "Down the pass" that comes with the Dash 9 pack I can't use the dynamics down the grade because they are too powerful in the first setup notch and can cause freight durability limits to be exceeded. Railworks 2 definitely needs some real work done on the physics of the engines and cars in the game.

My impression is that the way Dynamic braking is set up for North American Diesels is not accurate BUT if you use just the range of 0% to 10% or 12% they appear to apply what I feel is about the correct amount of retardation.

I hope that in some future update this physics error will be corrected.

GaryG