Thread: Cabview Editor Troubles

Question Cabview Editor Troubles

This is my first post!

Anyway, hi. I've been looking around for a long time trying to find a solution for this problem, with no luck. I'm trying to create a BC Rail-style desktop cabview for RDC railcars, based off of this photo, which I took at the Squamish, BC museum: (link)

I'm starting with the default GP38-2 cabview, as it has all of the controls and guages already set up. After replacing the background image and moving all of the controls to their relative positions (to be graphically replaced later), I save it as a seperate cabview (RDCdesktop.cvf) and set the GP38's .eng file to use it. I load up MSTS to test it, and it loads... but right before showing the simulator itself, the program shuts down by itself. No error messages, nothing.

So I open the Cab Editor again to make more edits, but when I select it, it shows nothing but a white screen and "Microsoft Train Simulator has stopped working".

I've restarted from scratch four times, with the same result. Does anybody have a tutorial or something? I'm stumped.

Happy Trails
    ~Zozey

Quote Originally Posted by zozey View Post
    Does anybody have a tutorial or something?

Checkout the tutorials at steam4me.

http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/index.html#Cabpas

Oh, I forgot to mention that I did use that tutorial. It still won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by zozey View Post
    I've restarted from scratch four times, with the same result. Does anybody have a tutorial or something? I'm stumped.
    Feedback : Well, I did download the photo you posted a link for , and without promising anything at all ( I have too much on my plate right now / also very first time reading anything in this section , here ), I may attempt something using that photo, and what I currently have for cabview front window view, from Gaetan Belanger's ( BLW ) BC RAIL RDC's .

This would be a good learning exercize , for me as well , as a very-very first project .

That being said, please carry on requesting for help , and I will now keep an eye out for this thread, as I also need to learn just as much as you do .

On another side note, you probably are aware that the Museum grounds themselves, are included in the BC RAIL Route project . As a matter of fact , we are , right this moment , preparing a fresh new upgrade of the ( partially-completed ) Route , for the Museum itself, for the summer season .

Perhaps I may jump ahead a bit , here, and ask the following , based on what I know from how the Museum is operating the Route .

The museum staff members are very creative , and devised a fully-functional / custom-built control "console", that is cleverly interfaced with a RailDriver control set up . I have a couple photos of the console itself , if anyone feels this would help out . This was mostly designed for steam locomotive operation .

My own question, therefore, would be , is there a different approach to cabview design / functionality , in order for an end user, to use such as RailDriver, to control the locomotive ? I would rather ask in advance , instead of spending too much time / effort, at working at something that is going nowhere, to start with .

Thanks in advance ( and also please be patient with a total Newbie, as far as Cabview design ) .

Jean Brisson BC RAIL Route team project participant

Quote Originally Posted by bcrailfan View Post
    Feedback : Well, I did download the photo you posted a link for , and without promising anything at all ( I have too much on my plate right now / also very first time reading anything in this section , here ), I may attempt something using that photo, and what I currently have for cabview front window view, from Gaetan Belanger's ( BLW ) BC RAIL RDC's .

This would be a good learning exercize , for me as well , as a very-very first project .

That being said, please carry on requesting for help , and I will now keep an eye out for this thread, as I also need to learn just as much as you do .

On another side note, you probably are aware that the Museum grounds themselves, are included in the BC RAIL Route project . As a matter of fact , we are , right this moment , preparing a fresh new upgrade of the ( partially-completed ) Route , for the Museum itself, for the summer season .

Perhaps I may jump ahead a bit , here, and ask the following , based on what I know from how the Museum is operating the Route .

The museum staff members are very creative , and devised a fully-functional / custom-built control "console", that is cleverly interfaced with a RailDriver control set up . I have a couple photos of the console itself , if anyone feels this would help out . This was mostly designed for steam locomotive operation .

My own question, therefore, would be , is there a different approach to cabview design / functionality , in order for an end user, to use such as RailDriver, to control the locomotive ? I would rather ask in advance , instead of spending too much time / effort, at working at something that is going nowhere, to start with .

Thanks in advance ( and also please be patient with a total Newbie, as far as Cabview design ) .

Jean Brisson BC RAIL Route team project participant
    Oh, okay. If you're planning to do something with that picture, I have .ace and .tga files for all three cab views (front, left and right) already made. Would you like me to send them to you?

Also, I have successfully edited cabs before, but that was before I started using 64-bit Windows... could that be the problem?

P.S. BCrailfan, I'm wondering if you need any help with sound work for the locomotives for the BC Rail route for the museum. I played the simulator there before, and cringed when the BCOL units had the wrong horn sounds (it's a pet peeve of mine, call it a weakness). I'd love to help out!

Follow Up : Well, to start with , I have to mention again that , what really drew my interest to your post, in the first place, is that I also have functionality issues, with the Cab View Editor portion of the Editor & Tools, and was hoping to get a bit more insight . I use Windows XP, but bottom line , I had this portion of the Editor & Tools, disfunctional from day one ( it may have had to do with the basic CD installations disks ) .

For the horn sound , I can relate . We already have some excellent K5 horn sound (loops ) that were recorded , already , but , as you indicate , this may not be the sound that's been provided, for the Museum Installation . I know this team member that will submit yet another upgrade to the Route , to the Museum, and I will bring this to his attention / provide him with the correct sounds .

For the cab Views themselves, it definitely seems like you are better qualified than I am, to do such .

To summarize things up, I will try again to get my Cab Editor functional, and maybe we should look around for additional help, to get your own editor , functional as well . Sorry if if takes me so long to keep up with this ...'-)

Jean Brisson Victoria BC

[Note: switched accounts to solve an email address issue. This is zozey.]

Yeah, the Cab Editor has never really worked properly for me either. It always ends up either crashing the simulator or giving an error message.

Oh, well, that's good. BC Rail models are just incomplete without the K5 horn sound! xD

Cabview editing is actually pretty easy, depending on whether or not you start with one of the default cabviews, like I did. It's weird, because other MSTS cabview designers usually start with one of the default views (i.e. GP38, C44-9W, etc).

Yeah, I really hope I can get my editor working again. Maybe it'll work better once I get an actual Windows computer next month. I'm running 7 through a MacBook right now, so that may be affecting functionality.

(Also, correct me if I'm wrong - you're c36dash7 on BCLW, right? I'm ZozeyC on there. :B)
    Happy Trails!
    ~Zozeycoasterman