Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Route Control - full version

Default Route Control - full version

I've tried to register Route Control Lite but can't find the site. It seems to be dead. Does anyone know how to get this full (pay) version as I would like to use it to check out some problems? When I use Route Riter I always get errors which I can't fix, or other things get screwed up, which is why I want to try Route Control. All input is appreciated.

Jim

The full version of route control is not a fault finder. Perhaps if you told us what the problem is, we can help you to solve it.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

I've tried to register Route Control Lite but can't find the site. It seems to be dead. Does anyone know how to get this full (pay) version as I would like to use it to check out some problems? When I use Route Riter I always get errors which I can't fix, or other things get screwed up, which is why I want to try Route Control. All input is appreciated.

Jim, as far as I know the site is no longer available. However if you have the Lite version, it can be used as is. No need to register it. You can only use the Manage and Checkup portions. The one you cannot use is Clean. Cleam was designed to clean up MSTS. I use the Manage and Check up from time to time and find it useful. If you need any further help send me private message and I will be glad to do what I can.
    Regards,
    Fred

Hey Baldwin - thanks for your input here. This problem started about 8 months ago. I was making my activities and adding some scenery to some of my routes, about 12 or 15 added routes, some pay and some free, and everything was working just fine. Then something happened and I don't know what it was. I've reloaded the sim many times since then, with the updates and current Bin (new downloads). When I try to get into the editor, sometimes it will just lock-up immediately. Sometimes it will let me get to the RE or AE, and then lock-up. I deleted my routes, leaving just the default ones. I copied the default trains folder from my backup and the tools would work just fine. I would then add one route and my entire trains folder and everything would work OK. I made an activity just fine, but when I go back into the editor to edit the route, it would lockup again. One time I had four routes working just fine with my activities, A&O, L&HR 1940, STL&NA, CNW. At this time Conbuilder was showing no problems at the load up, but then when I start adding a route again, the lockup's would come back for any and all the routes, even the defualt ones. I've gone through my consist folder with Conbuilder many times checking and fixing a few problems, so I think the consists are not the problem. When CB loads, it doesn't find any errors in my trainset folder either. The fact that the routes that I've added one by one work just fine in the sim and the tools, I think their OK. The problem usually starts when I get more than just a few routes added. My system is XP Pro with SP3, and I've attached a few screen grabs for my system. I'm sure memory is not a problem here. I also have tried Train Store Maintenance tools to get into the editor, but that tool doesn't show all of my consists, only a few of mine but all the default ones. All consists show up just fine in CB and are available in the sim, but the TS Maintenance doesn't show all of them. TS does use all of them when just running the sim however. This problem had really gotten quite complex and seems to change sometimes depending on what I'm doing. How about some input here before I format the system and start over, as I don't really want to do that. The system seems to be working fine in all other applications. One of the screen grabs here shows the many errors that I get going back a few months. If I left anything out, holler.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by frog3764 View Post

Jim
    It looks like Jak took the site down, except for a page to hold the domain name. I use Route Control primarily to check activities. I have found it especially useful when deleting unused consists. Be aware that Route Control is case sensitive when using the check feature, and it can identify as errors some items that are alright, remember that MSTS is not case sensitive when looking at rolling stock names. As fluteman says RC Lite is just fine for checking activities and consists.
    Moving America one virtual train at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by frog3764 View Post
    At this time Conbuilder was showing no problems at the load up, but then when I start adding a route again, the lockup's would come back for any and all the routes, even the defualt ones. I've gone through my consist folder with Conbuilder many times checking and fixing a few problems, so I think the consists are not the problem. When CB loads, it doesn't find any errors in my trainset folder either. Jim
    Jim,

Your statement above indicates that you think that ConBuilder tests the TrainSet when it starts. This is only partially true. There are many things that will cause the sim to crash that are not tested when CB starts. You need to run the ENG and WAG item tests also.
    Charles

I will second Charles statement. Be sure to check the Test Tab, then Missing files, then run the tests for Consist, Wagond and Engines. I have a feeling that you have more than 3 or 4 consists for which you do not have the rolling stock installed in your Trainset folder. It can also be that you have a lot of engines that have errors in the Cabview or Sound lines, or missing or error prone .cvf files. Many pieces of rolling stock get sent out with incorrect data--a wrong reference to a .s file, bad sound file and bad cabview lines are most common errors. Other typical errors include the incorrect name in the wagon line and the second line where the first part of the engine or wagon file name minus the .eng or .wag ending--many times this will actually be different from the file name and it will cause problems.

Bob Edwards

There is no need to format the system, or re install MSTS as you have established that with the default set of routes and trains it works. Your problems started when you had a number of additional routes installed, which usually means you have extra items in your trainset, and more consists. MSTS has a finite number of items it can handle, and that figure varies from system to system. This can and does manifest itself in different ways, your problem being one of them. If you have a lot of routes and a large trainset, there are two ways to deal with it. Keep them all in one install and use Train Store to mimimise the amount of stuff the game has to use each time, or set up mini installs with a few routes and smaller trainset folder in each one.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Default RC-lite problem

I've just downloaded rc-lite from the site and it (apparently) installed okay. But selecting Manage/check produces the error "progressbar4.ocx or one of its dependencies is invalid or missing. As the Pay site is no longer available, where can I get a working version of rc-lite, as I am having a lot of problems with MSTS crashing on startup.
    Hope someone may be able to help.
    Thanks