Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milwaukee Road Gap, Faster progress

Red face Milwaukee Road Gap, Faster progress

Colleagues,

After enjoying 10 days in Texas with my brats (aged 43 & 45) and grandbrats,
    (aged 7,11,12,18) we returned home on June 9, and I got back to work on
    the new route. Then on June 12, at last my new (rebuilt) PC arrived and I had
    gone ahead and got a 19" flat screen for it. So in short order this week, we were
    able to correctly place the relatively long viaduct at Tekoa, and now we have
    built the CowCreek Coulee viaduct, which at 7800 faces would be too much for
    most video systems, so we created it as one item, and then divided it into
    two pieces, an east and west piece, each roughly 1/2. We also used the
    alignu utility in the library to precisely align it to the tangent - the same also
    being done at Tekoa. All that remains is some adjusting of the height of the
    westmost tower bent and westmost jumper bent, and for both viaducts we must
    adjust the amount of bridge rails used so they do not grossly exceed the length
    of the bridge. One major bridge remains, the Lind Viaduct which is a combination
    of steel towers and concrete bents, crossing over the former NP west of LIND.
    Then we have a significant structure on a curve over Pine Creek near Rock
    Lake, and a few other lessor structures.
    Using Simon Van de Laak's CATMASTER, we have completed the wiring of Avery
    following revision of the yard to include the turntable, and we need to make a
    few more long catenary supports of various lengths for that area as well. I may
    issue the route in stages, but if I do so, each stage will be complete and I will
    ask Nels to remove previous stages to conserve his disk space.
    The new machine runs XP in order to be able to use legacy programs, while
    most of the other editing, textures, etc. will be done on my Win-7 machine.

Here is an image

J. H. Sullivan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jerry,
    I look forward to these teaser updates!! Will be downloading this route whenever it is released. I have all of your other routes already. Keep up the great work!
    Lyn

Thanks for the kind words. I plan to keep it up. I have another 7 or 8 routes in research, some nearly ready to go. I guess
    my next one may be a rehash of either the KP or BR subs, to replace one currently in the library from 2003 or so, which was
    an early (and by current standards, crude) attempt.

I should have pointed out that the CowCreek bridge is one of only a few major structures that have been torn down on the
    former Milwaukee Rd. route. One of the others is FishCreek on the east slope of Pipestone pass. All the bridges on St.Paul
    pass still exist and Dominion Creek recently got a brand new deck so it would be safe for hiking/biking. One tunnel on St.
    Paul pass caved in due to a small earthquake in the 90s and has been bypassed, otherwise that route is complete.

J. H. Sullivan
    Florida

Talking And another bridge in progress

Colleagues,

Now that I have a viable XP machine to do the legacy software things, I have picked up
    a bit. The next major structure is the combination steel & concrete bridge (EE-194a)
    just west of LIND, WA where the Milwaukee Rd. crossed over the NP mainline at
    the foot of Providence Hill. Attached is an image of the bridge under construction. I
    need to tweak the angles of 3 or 4 segments and then be sure that all parts have the
    same deck width (16.8') and a hand-rail on each side. As there is a curve in it, I first
    used AlignU to make the bridge parallel to the straight part (westmost 2/3 of bridge).
    Now, without touching the angle adjustment, I simply re-export the whole structure
    as I tweak it using TSM. I did a number of structures with 3dC which is an excellent
    product, peferred by many, but I find TSM to be much easier to use for the relatively
    simple needs of MSTS and other rail simulators.

Notice that the west abutment is rather extended with 4 visible arches, while the
    east abutment (top of image) has 3 in view. The NP ascends Providence Hill going
    to the right in the image. LIND is about a mile to the left.

EE-194A.jpg

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

landnrailroader, I eagerly await this route. Your previous work on Milwaukee routes is absolutely incredible.
    --Mike L.
    Rail Organizations I'm involved with:
    Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society
    Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad

Jerry, Keep up the good work mite! I love those bridges!

Robert

When I do CSX routes, I have the benefit of having collected sketches of all the bridges I figure
    I will need. I don't have that kind of data for Milwaukee Rd. bridges, but there are images in
    abundance, particularly of the more famous (and accessible) ones like this one west of LIND, WA.
    For the most part the track profiles list the spans in a viaduct, length, and total length. Then it
    is possible to measure lengths, using Google Earth within a few meters. Thus my Milwaukee
    Rd. bridges are as close to real as I can get with data at hand. I might note that every bridge
    and trestle is built seperately according to the terrain and dimensions off the profiles. The next
    effort is probably going to be the Coast div. 2nd Sub. and there are some fearsome trestles on
    it, and a concrete arch structure at McClellan Butte that is on a 14 degree curve and was made
    necessary by either the sheerness of the Butte, or by the contractor using too much explosive
    to make a shelf. Either way, there is a series of concrete arches, totalling some 400' in length.

landnrailroader

Jerry, You make some good points about bridge building. I have seen on many routes where the bridge is half sunk in the terrain and have always wondered if the bridge is not to scale or is the terrain not to scale? It could be just bad carving of the landscape by the route builders as well? The route in question is the CPR Rogers Pass from MLT incase you are wondering?

I love the Milw road and I am looking forward to every update and up coming route of the Milw Road!

I do have one question? Once you finish the current project then start the 2nd sub how many more Milw routes have NOT been done in the same locale? Also where does the Cow Creek Canyon route from way back that is in the file library play into the Milw route? Is there someone operating part of the Milw tracks in the Cow Creek Canyon? I am sorry but I do not know much about the Milw road? I am trying to learn though!

The Milw was long gone by the time I was born in 89. I have spent most of my life studying the D&RGW and Southern Pacific in the Colorado mountains. Yet I live in North Carolina right now. You would think I would be more interested in the PRR since I am from PA? Go figure!

Yet if you think that is strange? I have a strong fascination with the the British Railways! Must be because my ancestry is English!

Robert

Well first, there is no relation between the CowCreek in Washington State, and the CowCreek in Oregon. These two
    waterways are several hundred miles apart. The earlier route was a good one, pretty well done, especially being
    one of the very early routes. I was thinking about using it as a basis for doing the line over Siskyou Summit, but
    the coordinates used were different than UsaPhotomaps, and more recently someone put some images of his
    route in progress in this forum, it was early last year if I remember right. The CowCreek in Oregon was on the
    original line of the SP from Eugene South to Weed, CA. It can be easily traced on Google Earth and is now
    operated (in part at least) by CORP, a Rail America company. (Central Oregon & Pacific)

There are several other Milwaukee Road routes in the area. I have concentrated on doing the Pacific Extension
    really to preserve a measure of history of this line. I have recently tested it with OpenRails and it does very
    well, so there is no reason to switch to any other simulator any time soon, though if I did, my personal
    choice would be RailWorks.

Simon Van de Laak is working on the Coast Division, 1st Sub., that runs from Othello to CleElum, about
    110 miles. He has included the Royal Slope branch and may be including the line to Hanford as well.
    These were the only branches off the 1st Sub. which includes the steepest grade on the Extension, from
    Beverly up to the tunnel some 18 miles west, and 2000' higher. There is also the great trestle at
    Renslow which still stands. Simon has provided me with several stations, very accurately done, the
    concrete arch spans at Rosalia, and very excellent renditions of the Substations.

I have the material to do the Coast Div. 2nd Sub, the Great Falls line (Harlowton to Great Falls),
    and the Elk Branch out of St.Maries. I've also got the profiles for several other branches. Given that
    it takes a year or more per segment, though don't anyone hold their breath.

Robert, I live in Jacksonville, FL and preceded you on this planet by 50 years. NC is special to
    me in that the roots of my branch of Sullivans came out of Duplin County around 1830, when it
    is said that one of the males had to leave at the point of a shotgun??? My first serious love was
    from Kannapolis, my late wife was from Riedsville (but grew up in Washington), and my
    present wife is from Burlington. Last October, I visited my late wife's siblings, likely for the last
    time, in Washington, Greenville, and Hickory.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

Default More Bridges

With these three bridges, we have largely completed the area around LIND, WA and are moving on toward
    Warden, WA which is the last town before Othello. I will also have a few highway bridges to deal with
    where the highway goes over the railroad.

After moving west from the long trestle over the NP, there is next a concrete span, EE-194B which is
    over a state highway. Then a 7 span pile trestle over a creek or wash at EE-196 and lastly
    a through girder span over the same road as the concrete bridge at EE-196.5 (196d5).

Each one has been fitted to the situation, and has the gradient built in. It was then
    aligned to the track with the "alignu" utility in the library, very useful tool.

Jerry Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)
    Attached Images Attached Images