Thread: Locomotive Blueprints for a Film Prop

Default Locomotive Blueprints for a Film Prop

Hey all,

So I'm working on pre-production for a student thesis film premiering next spring, and doing some work on one of our props. At a pivotal point in the film, the characters discover a large blueprint of a locomotive that has been significantly altered for a secret military experiment.

I need to tackle the design for this fictional blueprint, so my question is, are there any resources for locomotive blueprints that I can study and base my own design on? Ideally I'm aiming for a Dash 8-40C, B36-7, SD60 or something of similar design from the general 1980's manufacturing timeframe. Since these kind of designs are property of the manufacturers I don't expect to find them readily available, but something even close like detailed drawings would be a great find. And yes, I've already done some image research and have found one or two things but generally I'm trying to find something of higher detail (and resolution, in most cases).

If anyone could direct me toward anything related to this it would be a fantastic help
    Last edited by piemaniac; 07-11-2011 at 06:45 AM.
    [Link Expired]

Don't know if this is helpful, but B36-7 looks like a rugged thing if your thinking military.

Try this site http://paintshop.railfan.net/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by dadiok2 View Post
    Thank you. I've also been looking around here: http://trainiax.net/mescaleloco.php Both seem to be helpful so far.

Quote Originally Posted by NP2206 View Post
    Don't know if this is helpful, but B36-7 looks like a rugged thing if your thinking military.
    I agree. Perhaps I should research the military's fleet list for more possibilities as well.
    [Link Expired]

Quote Originally Posted by piemaniac View Post
    I agree. Perhaps I should research the military's fleet list for more possibilities as well.
    They have everything from gensets to 44 tonners in service. An MRS-1 would be interesting, though.
    Max Brisben
    President of Northern Vermont Locomotive Works

Don't know if its what your looking for, but I have a blueprint for the Metra/ICG Highliner railcar..
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there's footsteps on the moon..

--Josh--

Quote Originally Posted by vermont402 View Post
    They have everything from gensets to 44 tonners in service. An MRS-1 would be interesting, though.
    I dug around through the rosters for USAF, USAX and USN. Interesting stuff. Thank you for the suggestion of the MRS-1. After some additional reading on the model I'm actually deciding to go with that one, as visually it's what I was looking for and its history actually fits into our backstory very well. The one downside is that the obscurity of the model is making it very hard to find any schematics on

Quote Originally Posted by scfe_fan View Post
    Don't know if its what your looking for, but I have a blueprint for the Metra/ICG Highliner railcar..
    Specifically it's not the model type I'm working with but if it's got some good detail I'd certainly like to take a look for reference, thanks!
    [Link Expired]

Might look around and see if you can find drawings of Adolf Hitler's "super train" idea;

http://venkatforindien.blogspot.com/...per-train.html

Obviously it never got built, but he was envisioning a 10 foot track gauge with huge trains more than double the height, width, and length of existing train locos and cars.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper297 View Post
    Might look around and see if you can find drawings of Adolf Hitler's "super train" idea
    Wow! I had done some research on Nazi super technology but never came across that. Ridiculously ambitious.
    [Link Expired]

For anyone who's interested - I did some digging around and found a very nice schematic of the MRS-1: http://www.berail.be/usa/emd_images/schema2.gif This sure saved me a lot of work of piecing something together from other engines!

Of course there are still some top-secret military modifications to be made

And I have yet to find any videos of these things in action, until I remembered Engineer Dave's heroic plight at the San Diego Railroad Museum (~1:30-3:40): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEvM-GKRRkE
    Last edited by piemaniac; 07-17-2011 at 12:35 AM.
    [Link Expired]