Thread: Just for the L of it

Cool Just for the L of it

Been working on the L, adding a subway system to it, uploaded version 1.2 to the DLS tonight. Lots of debugging involved, but once the new version of the route is up I have a working subway traffic pattern. Spawns at the portals behind the C&NW station, crosses the river and turns north at Tower 8, straight up past Tower 18 and Merchandise Mart to the fictional Ravenswood section, which bends the wrong way and heads into a four station subway route about five miles long. Comes up in the Union stockyards, rejoins at Tower 12, runs around the inner Loop and goes back thru the stockyards into the subway the opposite direction, south on Wells and back to the Douglas portal. Got all the signals and triggers working to avoid collisions at the three interlocking towers, and all three drawbridges are signaled and triggered so when the ship comes along and opens the bridge the signals will go red before it opens. Without further yakketyyak, here's some screenshotz;

Turning north on Wells from westbound Lake Street at Tower 18, stop for the ship.

Merchandise Mart northbound on the Ravenswood line.

Heading down into the subway.

Still gotta work on actual passengers at the other L stations, didn't know these doors actually worked until I stopped here.

Couldn't resist doing an underground maintenance area.

Well, imageshack often won't load more than five pics per post for me, so next set in another post.

Wink Where was I?

Oh yeah, driving a subway train.

Coming up on the south side.

Back in familiar territory, Union stockyards.

Coming back into the Loop on South Wabash toward Tower 12.

Cool WIPping along

Still haven't decided if the next version will be a 1.3 replacement for 1.2, or a new KUID version 2 yet - it looks like they're making the multiplayer fixes a crash priority, so replacing the current version may not be necessary.

While I was fiddlefaddling with all the multiplayer incompatible stuff, I started playing around with streetcars and interurbans, decided that since I didn't really want another end of the line extension, I bent the whole enchilada back east and connected into the Douglas Park L line;

That's what the new rapid transit traffic pattern will look like once I get it debugged, spawning in Forest Park both directions. Dark blue and light blue are the clockwise, red and pink counterclockwise, difference in colors is for clarity when the patterns cross over themselves. No more dead end, player will now be able to continue back to the Loop on the interurban/streetcar/Douglas Park L line after reaching the end of the Lake Street L line. Some shots of the new section;

Harlem yard in Forest Park, now has an extension going south;

to Brookfield. Haven't gotten back to the trolley pole project yet.

Zigzag streetcar line for a couple miles, then;

industrial claustrophobia section. That one isn't a childhood memory, it was actually inspired by Half Life 2.

Default Next!

Get me outa here, I'm running out of ammo and the zombies keep coming!

Got a few one track "choke points" on this line, one is shared with the west Indiana Harbor Belt over the refineries. That's the biggest debugging project, gotta find out how the two way AI with player is gonna work on those, especially this long single track section.

Weaving thru the south side 'hoods;

Existing Douglas portals now hidden under these long sheds, been looking for a way to camouflage portals for a while now.

And into the Loop at Tower 8.

Default Next!

Well, been on a rapid transit kick lately, dunno why other than it's a change of pace. Went backwards and skinned some ersatz 6000 series cars for CTA instead of Chicago Metro, then proceeded to create two single player and one multiplayer sessions using the CTA cars. On to skinning for Chicago Metro;

First paint scheme, which;

Most closely matches the old 4000s.

Can't make up my mind if I like the red roof or white roof better;

so I'm just gonna do all three.

Cool Down periscope

Working on expanding and improving the subway section, couple screenshotz;

And of course a video;

Cool More more more!

Still on this transit kick, by the time version 3 comes out nothing in the main freight/passenger part of the route will be different from 2.2, it's gonna be all CTA. Reworked the Harlem and South Austin yards using chunks of the Illinois Railway Museum trackplan, added another at Union Avenue and a fourth at Wilson Avenue. Geographical locations aren't correct for the names and some fictional names have been tossed in, again this was never really intended as a CTA route but for some reason that's what I've gotten the muse for lately.

Lot of empty yard tracks, so go to static trains to keep the framerates up;

Keep adding until it does affect FPS, then back down a little, framerates are the same so far.

Used a low poly truck for the static cars, nothing I can do about the body mesh but without all the fizzix loading it won't be hammering the CPU.