Thread: On the Surfline...

Default On the Surfline...

Hi there! During the past summer I was in San Clemente, CA, and I took the chance to take some pictures of the trains running along the Surfline. I don't have much in the way of photography equipment or schedules so these were taken when I saw them, so they aren't the best but I think they look good.

A Metrolink train running north stopping at San Clemente station:

Locomotive end of the same train in the station:

A southbound Surfliner train passing San Clemente Pier:

And just as it passes:

Off-topic: What does the "X" signpost stand for? There is at least one crossing around the bend.

One more taken from the San Clemente Beach Trail crossing:

I hope everyone enjoys!

The X is a crossing warning sign and used just like a whistle post. Glad you enjoyed your time along the coast. I'm a Surfline rider

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by hiball 3985 View Post
    The X is a crossing warning sign and used just like a whistle post. Glad you enjoyed your time along the coast. I'm a Surfline rider

Jim
    Yeah, if I remember right, the "W" ones are newer BNSF, and the "X" Are old SP/ATSF Style ones.

Good Morning:

A few years ago the wife and I had a joint vacation with the grandkids at Laguna Beach in February, we stayed at a motel that was close to the beach, the sufliner route was between the beach and our motel. What a joy to sit drinking my morning coffee and watching the trains go bye. Living in northern Utah and getting the chance to go to Laguna Beach in February is a treat by itself but having a high speed track next door is really great.

Thanks for the pics.

Chandler

Quote Originally Posted by Komachi View Post
    Yeah, if I remember right, the "W" ones are newer BNSF, and the "X" Are old SP/ATSF Style ones.
    Both have almost the exact same meaning, the X signs are a Metrolink addition... And the X signs have a slightly different rule than a W sign, at least for Metrolink trains.

Quote Originally Posted by RDC191 View Post
    Both have almost the exact same meaning, the X signs are a Metrolink addition... And the X signs have a slightly different rule than a W sign, at least for Metrolink trains.
    Oh? What's the additional rule for the Metrolink's?

X is basically Metrolinks whistle post, But as per Metrolinks rules, engineers are only supposed to sound the horn only for warning and crossings. It's supposed to be like that for all trains on Metrolink territory, but Amtrak and BNSF don't abide by it for the most part.