Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steamers in the Monon v10 using OR

Default Steamers in the Monon v10 using OR

I thought I'd post this here. I tried what regular MSTS failed miserably in running with full effects on. But in OR it seems to work all OK. If anyone has seen my screen shots on the Monon steamers in MSTS, you'd see on that other thread that I mentioned that with too many of those steamers that are player capable in one activity, it overtaxed MSTS. And thus removing the said steam effects. But in OR all seem to work all fine.

What I have done in the activity is installed all these locomotives that are player capable (with their cabviews) displayed as static consists on the rails.

There are close to twenty five of the locomotives staying in these small region of the rail yard at Monon. And OR has no problems displaying the effects nor doing the same for the regular player train, which is not visible on these shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Edwin

Continuing with the above set.

Edwin

Well the effects seem to all run now. And without loss of FPS. Even the sounds work all right with aliased sounds.

Now if only the traffic speeds are displayed in this, along with an advanced traffic signal indicator. This will get it much and much closer to where MSTS is. Then adding maybe an Activity and Route Editors to replace what MSTS has, we may in the future see a full replacement of MSTS (without having to sacrifice losing what is already usable for routes to run) to the betterment of all in train simulation.

Keep up the great work there, OR Team!
    Edwin

Edwin,
    On behalf of the OR team, we appreciate the compliment. You demonstrated what Open Rails software has been trying to achieve for the community - a free and open platform that removes the constraints of MSTS. And a wide open future with a lot of innovation to come. We're hard at work on the next major release which is focused on our key roadmap deliverables.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Quote Originally Posted by longiron View Post
    Edwin,
    On behalf of the OR team, we appreciate the compliment. You demonstrated what Open Rails software has been trying to achieve for the community - a free and open platform that removes the constraints of MSTS. And a wide open future with a lot of innovation to come. We're hard at work on the next major release which is focused on our key roadmap deliverables.
    I do have a question though. Are you going to put out an adjustment graph to engine file editors that can adjust each possible engine and put out what is needed for the proper friction values? I noticed this same engine that works fine in MSTS seem very slippery on OR.
    Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by ED_4 View Post
    I do have a question though. Are you going to put out an adjustment graph to engine file editors that can adjust each possible engine and put out what is needed for the proper friction values? I noticed this same engine that works fine in MSTS seem very slippery on OR.
    We have made adjustments to the physics model in the current development release as it had some anomolies (wheel slip calculations) when frame rates changed. It's much more stable now. To take advantage of OR's next generation physics will require an add-on file that defines key new parameters as a substitute for reading and using the MSTS ENG physics parameters (think Adhesion & NumWheels). This is consistent with the OR's objective of not changing the community's MSTS installation to ensure continued compatibility with running MSTS.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by longiron View Post
    We have made adjustments to the physics model in the current development release as it had some anomolies (wheel slip calculations) when frame rates changed. It's much more stable now. To take advantage of OR's next generation physics will require an add-on file that defines key new parameters as a substitute for reading and using the MSTS ENG physics parameters (think Adhesion & NumWheels). This is consistent with the OR's objective of not changing the community's MSTS installation to ensure continued compatibility with running MSTS.
    Thanks for clarifying that. Yes, it is those two entries of Adhesion and Numwheels that figures the slipperiness (or lack of) of an engine.

I know this is a continuing work in progress as there are many things that still needs to be done before we can truly call it a completed work.

And again, keep up the great work, Team OR. I'm really looking forward with what keeps coming up with your improvements.
    Edwin

Very nice - although the search light is pretty annoying in that picture.

Ed

The adhesion and Numwheels lines. Adjusting them which way makes them better ?

Quote Originally Posted by ED_4 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that. Yes, it is those two entries of Adhesion and Numwheels that figures the slipperiness (or lack of) of an engine.

I know this is a continuing work in progress as there are many things that still needs to be done before we can truly call it a completed work.

And again, keep up the great work, Team OR. I'm really looking forward with what keeps coming up with your improvements.
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-MONON View Post
    Ed

The adhesion and Numwheels lines. Adjusting them which way makes them better ?
    There will be new parameters and Wheels definitions in a separate OR file (similar to the current text format of ENG). If the ENG file has the proper alias statement, then OR will ignore the Adhesion and NumWheels in the ENG file and use the parameters in the OR file.
    Chris