Thread: Freight car sounds - when same car repeated multiple times

Default Freight car sounds - when same car repeated multiple times

After spending a lot of time tinkering with the sounds of locomotives, I've finally ventured into the world of trying to make the trains themselves sound better. I've been playing with Matt Florack's freight car sounds and am really quite pleased with the improved effect, but in updaing my rolling stock I've come across a particular situation and I'm debating how to proceed.

One of the things I like to do in particular is run coal trains, and a lot of the time I have consists that are simply one car repeated the entire length of the train. Where it's pretty easy to get a randomization of the genfreightwag1 through genfreightwag4 sounds throughout mixed consists, I'm wondering about the best way to achieve this when I have a whole train of the same coal hopper. The one solution I've thought of is to make several copies of the original wag file, assign a different genfreightwag sms to each, then edit the consist so the hoppers with different sms schemes are placed randomly throughout. This seems like a lot of work, though doable.

This leads me to my real question, about something I'm assuming isn't possible but was curious to ask anyway. Does anyone know if there is a way to randomly assign which genfreightwag sms is used for repeat instances of a car in the same train?

Thanks!

I've been getting into this with passenger cars lately myself. And to answer your question, you really have to get into the WAG's to start switching things around. BUT - it's really worth the effort. Matt's are great sounds for sure. And I also find Maple Leaf Tracks 'freight sounds' very good as well. What I've done is to give many of MLT's and Matt's a 'unique sound', either by exchange or something new and befitting from a whole other source. Be it some random 'clunks' in GebFreight2, or a 'squeal' to one of MLT's car sounds, and so on. It helps break the monotony as big trains pass I find.

Quote Originally Posted by midneguy View Post
    The one solution I've thought of is to make several copies of the original wag file, assign a different genfreightwag sms to each, then edit the consist so the hoppers with different sms schemes are placed randomly throughout. This seems like a lot of work, though doable.
    Yes.
    You can also modify each genfreightwag{n}.sms to be a bit more random.
    Genfreightwag1 and 2 don't do any random selection, but genfreightwag3 and 4 do.
    You could insert a silent .wav and play with the Dist_Min_Max() and Volume_Min_Max() values for a bit more variety.

The Matt Florack MC_Freight sound set is nice, but at 5 streams in one .sms and 7 streams in the other, this may tax a simpler on-board sound chip if you run very long consists.
    You might have 50 wagons with an average of 6 streams per wagon, that makes 300 streams for the sound system to look after, not including locos and scenery.
    The default genfreightwag{n}.sms are only one stream each.

This leads me to my real question, about something I'm assuming isn't possible but was curious to ask anyway. Does anyone know if there is a way to randomly assign which genfreightwag sms is used for repeat instances of a car in the same train?
    Not that I know of.
    Bear in mind that not every wagon strictly needs to make sounds.
    There may be plenty of other wagons in the consists to make random and not-so-random sounds which add to the illusion.
    Last edited by Armchair_Engo; 10-19-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Correction

Thanks for the responses... I have a few more things to think about now. The point about the number of streams involved in long consists is one I hadn't considered yet either. I know I've seen many others say how much they like the MLT and SLI freight car sounds. The only purchases I've made from them have been locomotives so far, so I don't have any of their freight sms files to look at and see how they're done. I'm curious now how they compare regarding the number of streams compared to the MC sms files? I'm also curious to see how the trains sound if I have sounds in only half, or maybe a third of the cars and may have to test this.

This may not be a complete solution type answer to your question, but I used a "RandomSelection" with an "Initial_Trigger" in a Stream in the .SMS file to initiate different blower sounds in my Silverliner MU cars. When running multiple cars, all using the same .sms with the same sound stream, I would pick up this echo effect (I thought it sounded like listening through a corrugated pipe). So by assigning random sounds at start, it greatly reduced the possibility that any two cars together would be using the same sound, and the sounds of the cars improved greatly.

Remember also that there is the "Random_Trigger" which will play a sound at a random interval and random volume (within parameters you set), and that can also be coupled with the "RandomSelection" parameter. I've seen this used to simulate radio chatter in cab views, for example.

I could envision doing something like these with freight car sounds, but as has been pointed out, you'd have to be careful how many streams you were putting in the .sms so as not to tax the processing and memory capabilities of your machine.

Steve

Something else to consider if you drive long freight is that you can reduce the Priority() of the streams in your most common freight wagon .sms files to something less than the streams in your locos.
    Typical loco .sms files have their streams at Priority(6) or Priority(5). You could set your wagon .sms streams to Priority(4) or Priority(3).
    If the MSTS sound system feels the need to drop sounds or streams, I assume it will start with the lowest priority streams and work its way up.