Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia/PNY GeForce vs ATI/AMD Radeon?

Question Nvidia/PNY GeForce vs ATI/AMD Radeon?

Which seems better re: overall performance with TS2012? I'm running with GeForce GTX 560 Ti (just upgraded from GeForce 260 GTX which was a delight with RW2). Computer specs all in the pretty high gaming range. TS2012 running better with the 560 than the 260, but a route like Northeast Corridor is a killer. Would an ATI/AMD-Radeon card of similar power be better?

Thanks to anyone who has some solid conclusions.

Barry

I have a Radeon 1 Gb HD 4870 and running TS 2012 use these settings below.

If you could run a RW-3 Scenario using the Acela Express with identical rw-3 settings and take snapshots while running it at specific locations such as in the Penn, Philly and at Trenton stations, showing your Z frame rates or making a note of them then I can do the same and show you the frame rates that I get.

It will also help to know whether you run RW-3 on-line to STEAM and if not then what other programs are running in the background at the same time as RW-3 !

O t t o

Quote Originally Posted by drbarryk View Post
    Which seems better re: overall performance with TS2012? I'm running with GeForce GTX 560 Ti (just upgraded from GeForce 260 GTX which was a delight with RW2). Computer specs all in the pretty high gaming range. TS2012 running better with the 560 than the 260, but a route like Northeast Corridor is a killer. Would an ATI/AMD-Radeon card of similar power be better?

Thanks to anyone who has some solid conclusions.

Barry
    I'm running the same card as you with no issues, what is your CPU? The 560 is a good card I don't think you will get much difference from the ati equivalent of the GTX560ti and if you higher you will be paying over $300 for something that won't make much of a difference in 2012

Hi:
    I am running Railworks with TSX enabled, runs pretty good but is there a setting I can use
    to eliminate the Moire(shimmering)I see on the track?
    Turning off TSX fixes it but effect is not as good, no raindrops etc.
    My Specs:
    Intel E7200, Windows 7 64bit, 8 gb ram, nvidia gt240 512mb ddr3, 30gb SSD.

Pete

Below are my frame rates running this RW-3 NEC Freeroam scenario off-line, using the ATI HD4870 and settings as shown above. Apart from Fraps and HyperSnap there is nothing else running in the background.

The Acela Express in the Silver Star scenario refuses to move !

P.S.: The Moire can not be removed, Anisotropic set at the RW-3 maximum of 8 and the HD4870 using AF X16, which usually gets rid of it !

O t t o

Just a question. Did you release the handbrake? I had the same problem until I figured out the hand brake was on! DOH!.

Quote Originally Posted by SCRF75 View Post
    Just a question. Did you release the handbrake? I had the same problem until I figured out the hand brake was on! DOH!.
    Did not know that there was one and that it was on, no other loco or train I have driven since RS had one set to be ON, neither appear loco brakes to be set to ON by default !

The manual does not say what it's key is and the driver's info says SLASH without specifying whether it is the forward or backward slash.

Had to check the Acela InputMapper to find that it's the O key toggle, which being ON did not stop me driving the Silver Star this time.

O t t o

It seems that the nVidia cards tend to be running TS2012 with less problems than ATI cards. I haven't counted but the trend seems to go that way from the posts that I have have read in numerous forums.

Quote Originally Posted by jmguyer View Post
    It seems that the nVidia cards tend to be running TS2012 with less problems than ATI cards. I haven't counted but the trend seems to go that way from the posts that I have have read in numerous forums.
    Yes, I too got that impression and am tempted to change my ATI 1GB HD4870 to a classy NVidia, if I could be sure that the RW-3 terrain textures colors look like they did in RW-2, trackbeds ditto and the distant scenery is not tinted blue !

Can somebody who has a WIN-7 computer with a top NVidia card show me some scenes from the RW-3 NEC in areas I have shown many of ?

O t t o

I don't have an Nvidia card, but I do have an AMD 6970 (top-of-the-line single GPU card). I haven't had any issues with any version of Railworks, and generally run TSX at maximum settings on everything except for AA (anti-aliasing) and AF (anisotropic filtering), which I generally set rather low. I usually get about 20 fps when running on THREE monitors (a total resolution of 5760 x 1080).

If anyone is interested I can post some pictures with Fraps and what-not. Unfortunately I don't have the NEC Corridor route, is there a different route you would want to see? I do have the Horseshoe Curve.

Let me know if I can help.