Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Erie S-1 Berk model for OR

mnjrr Guest

Default Erie S-1 Berk model for OR

Allen Norton created an outstanding looking Erie S-1 Berk model solely for the OR platform. Please find enclosed screenshots of the locomotive taken on the 1940s Lehigh & Hudson River route.

Last edited by mnjrr; 11-16-2011 at 03:47 PM.

How about a little video to better demonstrate its perfomance ?

Glad you asked......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR0WQW7YLWA

On the Scale Rail Lehigh Valley route with BLW/ZT cars and caboose.

RGF

Quote Originally Posted by rfranzosa View Post
    Glad you asked......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR0WQW7YLWA

On the Scale Rail Lehigh Valley route with BLW/ZT cars and caboose.

RGF
    It looks and sounds good, too.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

mnjrr Guest

Excellent video Rick!

Thanks for creating it.

I am playing Doris Day's "Sentimental Journey" while watching the video. "Sentimental Journey" goes so well with the Erie S-1 Berk model footage.
    Last edited by mnjrr; 11-18-2011 at 05:30 PM.

NICE Allen. You to Rick. Like it alot especially the flicker in the firebox. Don't stop there. More !!!

Nice loco, but what is OR-specific about it ? Doesn't it run in MSTS, too, and if not, why ?
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic164208_1.gif

Allen might be able to provide a more detail answer, but here is the short version. MSTS has a limit in the number of polygons (polys) it can display in a single model before it goes belly up. There are things you can do as far as reducing the poly count (remove detail) or split up groups of polys in Polymaster to fool MSTS into believe there are multiples not just one large model.

Allen spent a significant amount of time in Polymaster, ShapeFixer, even giving up the individually spoked drivers and using an alpha channel on solid disks for the wheels. He could not reduce the model to where MSTS would accept it. If I remember his last post on the subject, he feels the current 'culprit' is the complex valve motion. In Open Rails, however, it not only runs, I was getting framerates in th 40s/50s.

There's a 24 page (and growing) post over at Elvas Tower that describes the project:

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...g-constructed/

Rick
    Last edited by rfranzosa; 11-20-2011 at 06:41 AM.

"Nice loco, but what is OR-specific about it ? Doesn't it run in MSTS, too, and if not, why ?"

Rick

Thank you for stepping in here. Your explanation of the problem for a no-go in MSTS is on the money.

GoGoran

Originally the model was built as an OR specific model. It was never intended to be used in MSTS as it had many detail's including piping, bolt heads, full detail cab roof with sliding hatches and others to numerous to mention to the tune of over 60,000 poly faces with a freight animation of 17,000 faces. It was so huge it had to be made in sections as my old computer was taking forever to do each step in every process. It took over 20 minutes to generate the model from TSM into MSTS and when it was running in Open Rails it caused considerable stuttering of the video. I then started to reduce the shape to where it would run better in the sim and ended up with a model of 45,000 faces and a 10,000 poly FA. Then someone mentioned that no-no sentence. "Why did you build it for OR and not MSTS too". "Can you make it so that it will run in MSTS".

So now the model is at 26,000 poly's with a 10'000 poly FA. And I worked for a week trying to get the thing to run in the OLD SIM without success. It always comes up as a uid200000 error. I've removed many of the detail's including much of the piping and the rest of what is left has been halved which necessitated putting in a view blocker so that the shadows from the halved piping can't be seen from the opposite side. The model has been run through PolyMaster, grouped and LOD'ed to death.

The model now has 22 key frame animated valve motions. And I feel this may be the problem. I've used 9 motions in non-quartered models many times with no problems. This model is quartered and has full animations of Baker valve gear with the lubricator motions totaling 11 per side and 22 total. And with the amount of thought and work that went into these I'm not removing a bit of them. So it will remain an OR only model. No further attempt will be made to get it into MSTS.

Allen
    Last edited by nortec; 11-20-2011 at 10:43 AM.

Hi Rick, hi Allen,

thank you for your explanation.

Yeah, OR-only models were bound to appear sooner or later. I too tried to get one hi-poly Swedish RC6 to work with MSTS, but it would only run on OR. Unfortunately OR has not yet reached a state of reasonable playability.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic164208_1.gif