Thread: Alternatives to Rail Driver device

Default Alternatives to Rail Driver device

I was wondering if there were any less expensive hardware devices like the Rail Driver? Also, is the Rail Driver compatible with World of Subways
    Vol. 3.

Quote Originally Posted by bostich36 View Post
    I was wondering if there were any less expensive hardware devices like the Rail Driver?
    Unless you can build your own, no.

Also, is the Rail Driver compatible with World of Subways
    Vol. 3.
    Yes.
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

Cool Accept no substitutes

I don't think I would call it "expensive", I paid $150 for mine back in the spring of 2003, so far used it in 7 different versions of 3 different train simulators for 8 1/2 years on 6 different computers and two different operating systems. Less than $20 bucks per year if it broke now, which is unlikely because the reason for the pricetag is it ain't a cheap plastic toy, it's a heavy solid rugged well designed console that none of my grandkids have ever been able to break anything on. And them little beasts are really good at busting mice, keyboards, flightsim and driving consoles and joysticks, so it's not like they ever handled the Raildrivers with anything like delicacy. Good investment, excellent bang for the buck.

That said, cheap alternatives would be any programmable joystick that can generate keystrokes. I have a Saitek X36 and X35 throttle, comes with a programming editor so you can load a TSR program that changes (for example) forward throttle to generate a D keypress, back throttle to generate an A, forward joystick ; and aft joystick ' for applying and releasing brakes.