Thread: Just Got Raildriver - Help Requested

Default Just Got Raildriver - Help Requested

I am sure that this topic has been approached in previous threads, in fact, I just looked through "raildriver problem," just to be sure that this was the correct forum. I just received my Raildriver from Schrader Enterprises, and am having problems. Following the instructions on how to install R/D on MSTS, I am secure in the knowledge that I have completed those tasks satisfactorily. My problem lies in the actual operation. When I select "Dash 9" on Raildriver, and select "play," MSTS loads (takes a couple of minutes), and then select a route (in this case, 3DTS's Cajon Pass-High Desert route). I select a scenario (BNSF Barstow to Mojave, which features a Dash 9 locomotive), I click "start" on the MSTS game with my mouse, and then MSTS starts its program of checking terrain buffers, world situation, etc. Just when the selected scenario gets near the completion of its loading cycle, I get a brief cabview of my locomotive and the tracks ahead before the screen goes blank. This is not the dreaded BSOD, but just a blank screen with "Train Simulator" in the upper left. I end up having to CNTRL, ALT, DEL - and then telling my Windows manager to END the program. Next comes up the option to report a problem to Microsoft, which I decline. I've read in the tech manuals from PI Engineering that I may have to disable something in my graphics card??? Geeez, I thought technology was supposed to be "plug 'n play," or "simple." MSTS operates just fine without R/D, so if suggestions or links are offered (so please don't take this wrong) and they are not understood by my non-computer brain, I will wrap up this Raildriver, and return it for a refund. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

What version of Windows are you using? The Raildriver MSTS interface only works for Windows XP. To use a Raildriver for Windows Vista or 7, you need to use a 3rd party program called RDTrainfix.
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

Just to confirm it actually is raildriver and not the game itself, try launching MSTS without launching RDmanager then select the same route, activity, and trainset. If that works okay, most likely is something doing an "ALT-TAB" type of thing trying to switch back to RDmanager for some weird reason. What I've done in the past to get various command line switches to work is launch MSTS, ALT TAB out of the menu screen and start RDmanager, then go back to MSTS. As the other guy said if you have Vista or 7 all bets are off, lotta tinkering involved to get anything to work in those.

For Train-a-Mania, my O/S is Windows XP, and I have adequate memory and graphic capabilities. I appreciate your response. For Sniper297, my MSTS worked fine without Raildriver, and you're right - someting weird was definitely happening. Now, I don't know if this had anything to do with it or not, but sometime ago, I was inquiring with the folks at Diesels West about some other problems I was having with MSTS, and they sent me directions how to install Bin. Among those directions was changing something called dll's. I was to find my language (English) in the Translated DLL's Folder, and copy/paste them into my my MSTS (overwriting if asked). Then I remembered that their directions stated "if you're using Raildriver, you have to use the Raildriver DLL's." I transferred those files into my MSTS and Raildriver began to function as it was designed to. Like I said, I do not know if this is what caused the problem to correct or not - but at least for an Acela scenario on the Northeast Corridor, the Raildriver and MSTS functioned OK. We'll continue to test Raildriver on other routes and trains, and I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

The reason is the standard Bin HUD display is in a WHITE font that is not recognized by the Raildriver Manager and it cycles endlessly looking for the RED font.

I run WinXP SP3 and I assure you my Raildriver works fine.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Thank you Vince. While WHITE font/RED font, HUD, and other terms are "greek" to me, I am just glad it was a "simple" fix for me to enjoy the Raildriver. Since Raildriver is set up to run as a "Dash 9" or "Acela," my other add-ons for SD-9s, F-7's, GP-30's, SD40/45-T2's, etc, will have to be utilized with my computer keyboard as to figure out how design a cab using Raildriver's cab-builder, is much too complex for me to figure out at this time. But now that Raildriver is working, I am a happy camper. Thanks again.