Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual monitor support for OR ?

Default Dual monitor support for OR ?

Hi guys,

would it be possible to implement dual monitor support for OR ?

I'm thinking about a simple solution there, i.e. if you got two old CRT monitors, each of the same resolution, e.g. 1600 x 1200, the OR image would be extended over both monitors, effectively resulting in a game resolution of 3200 x 1200 pixels !

Or, if you have two modern LCD or LED widescreen monitors, you could e.g. have two monitors, each running at 2560 x 1440 pixels,
    resulting in a game resolution of 5120 x 1440 pixels !

Not to mention triple or quad monitor scenarios, which could really provide insane resolutions ...

Yes, I do think this would make a lot of sense, not for a shoot-em-up game, but for a railroad simulation, since the defining characteristic of trains is that they are, well: llllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnggg !!! So an ultrawide dual or triple monitor setup would actually make sense and add to the simulation experience.

If it's not too complicated or too much work to implement such resolutions in the resolutions menu, then please, dear developpers, go ahead and just do it !

It's understood that one would need a high-end graphics card, or even SLI or CrossFire setup with two or more cards, to get good framerates with two or more monitors and the corresponding high game resolution, but graphics cards and CPUs are getting more powerful every year, so I would not see that as an obstacle which should bar the implementation of what is possible.

Besides, it would make OR unique in yet one more regard, since no other railroad sim supports that, afaik.
    Last edited by GoGoran; 12-28-2011 at 10:55 AM.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic164208_1.gif

I run an Crossfire setup now with 3, 28 inch LCD panels. A simple implimentation would be in the cabview, where the left, center and right views could be displayed at the same time.
    Just say NO to Fictional Railroad Foaming...

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoran View Post
    If it's not too complicated or too much work to implement such resolutions in the resolutions menu, then please, dear developpers, go ahead and just do it !
    You can already set windowed resolutions that span multiple monitors (just type them in, though you might need to use the old menu for some larger values), but properly supporting multiple monitors (e.g. taking into account angle, bevels and the like) and doing fullscreen across multiple monitors is quite a lot of work.
    James Ross
    Open Rails Management Team

Quote Originally Posted by twpol View Post
    You can already set windowed resolutions that span multiple monitors (just type them in, though you might need to use the old menu for some larger values),
    Thanks for the hint, I did not know about that. I will try and see whether it works.

but properly supporting multiple monitors (e.g. taking into account angle, bevels and the like) and doing fullscreen across multiple monitors is quite a lot of work.
    That would be too much work, it's understood - though it would be nice. All I was asking for, however, is the most simple implementation as described above. I will check out what you told me now.

I checked it out - it really works great ! But I definitely need a better computer for those screen sizes.

Unfortunately I barely got the train moving, too, since even at 1% throttle, the wheels kept spinning. And that although AntiSlip ( 1 ) was set. But that's another can of worms entirely.

Kudos for the variable resolution support - keep it this way !

Please remind me - how do you jump from one waggon to another with the cameras 2 and 3 ?

Alt - Page Up/Down switches between cars.
    James Ross
    Open Rails Management Team

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoran View Post
    Unfortunately I barely got the train moving, too, since even at 1% throttle, the wheels kept spinning. And that although AntiSlip ( 1 ) was set. But that's another can of worms entirely.
    In v0.7 there are two new keyboard commands designed to address the runaway slipping due to instability of the adhesion calculations on systems with lower frame rates (under 40 FPS).
    • Pressing a combination of "Ctrl + X" will reset the adhesion calculations, stop wheelslip and reset the Throttle to "0%" for all Engines in the consist
    • Pressing Ctrl+Alt+X toggles UseAdvancedAdhesion parameter which switches all locomotives between Open Rails new advanced adhesion model and a simpler model.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Thank you two, longiron and twpol !

I every boby
    /

Look at this video for a three monitors display
    /

/

Impressive!