Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How coupling works in Open Rails

Default How coupling works in Open Rails

Coupling for Open Rails is very different from MSTS. Open Rails simulates most of the prototype steps required for coupling to static cars. The following steps are required to successfully couple.

First, once you've coupled to a cut of cars, the train brake air line must be connected. Press the backslash key (\) to connect the air line. You can see the status of the train brake air line using the F5 HUD. Pressing SHIFT + F5 will bring up the braking, adhesion, AI and debug menus.

Second, all static cuts of cars have their handbrakes set to 100% by default. To release the handbrakes, press the SHIFT + Colon ( key to release all handbrakes for the cut you have coupled to. This must be done for each new cut.

Third, once the above steps are completed, the train brake air line will begin to charge. If you don't want to wait the prototypical amount of time to charge the train brake line, press SHIFT + Question mark (?) key to immediately charge the train brake air line. For the quick charge key combination to work, your speed must be ZERO and the locomotive power must be set to ZERO. If the throttle is in a power position, or the train speed is NOT ZERO, then the quick charging key combination will not work.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

From my point of view, i prefer a more realistic behaviour. However, a MSTS compatibility mode should be considered for the following reasons:

a) Too many new functions make the change from MTST to OR to complicated, thus might cause a bad image for OR.

b) Not in all cases the handbrakes of wagons are set (use of brake shoes/stop blocks)

c) wagons can be set out with open (braking) or closed (non braking) brake valves ... closed brake valves are used on roll off hills or during normal roll off operation!

d) the operation of handbrakes and brake valves is NOT the responsibility of the train driver. Therefore this function is additional work, which ist not realistic (even of course necessary for normal train operation). Of course pressure up times (pressure loss on the loco at coupling) must of course be considered.

So, if you plan to be realistic ... either be fully realistic, not only in complicating an unnecessary parts for the train driver! As i do not see a possibility to simulate the handbrake control of wagons (or brake shoes, or computer controlled breaking equipment for roll off hills) i think this complication is unnecessary.

Kind regards
    Alfred

I like this new realism. As for the different types of brake options, what they have done matches almost all north american operations include Canada and Mexico. I'm sure as time goes on and development continues, other brake systems will be included.
    Mike
    Proud Supporter of OR
    Creator of YardMaster
    "Thanks for using YardMaster"

I am only a fairly new user of OR but can say that the coupling and starting-off requirements as detailed by Chris really enthuse me about OR.
    Whether the job of setting and releasing handbrakes is the responsibility of one railroad employee or another is immaterial; the player is the only person sitting in front of his/her computer so the player has to change hats as part of the simulation experience.

Full marks to the development team for bringing us a little more realism.

BK

Can the brake line be charged before releasing the handbrakes?

Dennis

"I 'tawt I 'taw a Tessie tat!"

Conrail Tweety

Quote Originally Posted by Conrail Tweety View Post
    Can the brake line be charged before releasing the handbrakes?

Dennis
    Yes, charging the train brake line while keeping the handbrakes set is required for few activities on the A&O route. So, it's a test case the OR team. They are totally independent - you can set/release the handbrakes without touching the train brakes.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

>First, once you've coupled to a cut of cars, the train brake air line must be connected.

That won't be prototypical then;
    If you want to move the cars without air (which we used to do all the time in the yard), we can't.
    Cheers
    Derek

Derek is correct:

On the railroad we can "bleed" off the air on a car (i.e. pull/push the "Release Rod" to vent the air reservoir, thus releasing all air-applied brake on that car) and let it free roll for kicking, gravity switching, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    >First, once you've coupled to a cut of cars, the train brake air line must be connected.

That won't be prototypical then;
    If you want to move the cars without air (which we used to do all the time in the yard), we can't.
    I've managed to drag a few cars without connecting the air. You can't kick them, but you can move them. But if it's more than say 5 or 6, you are stuck. I thought I saw a way to bleed off the air on cars though.
    Mike
    Proud Supporter of OR
    Creator of YardMaster
    "Thanks for using YardMaster"

Good Morning:

How about a tutorial on uncoupling of cars. If I want to uncouple one or two cars from a consist, do I set the hand brakes on the cars I am uncoupling and then uncouple the brake hose. If I do that then after I uncouple a few cars then I have to connect the brake line and release the hand brake from the cars still coupled. Is there a way to set the hand brakes on just one car?

Thanks for a great sim.

Chandler