Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How coupling works in Open Rails

Hi everyone

I'm new to Openrails. I could not get 2 newly coupled cars to close the bleeder. The program also did not recognize that I picked up the cars. I could open and close the bleeders on the previous 3 cars I picked up but not the newest 2. Niagara Corridor activity CN393. Meantime I'll try it again tomorrow.

MG
    Last edited by finky555; 01-07-2015 at 10:46 AM.

There is a keyboard command (U for the North American keyboard) that allows uncoupling with the mouse. How exactly does this work? It doesn't do anything that I can see and I can't find it documented in the manual.
    thanks
    Christopher

It works in an outside view. Press and hold U then mouse click on the coupler. It has however usurped the normal MSTS key for applying steam heating.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Thanks. That is exactly what I've been trying to do. I will have to keep trying, now you have given me confidence.
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by longiron View Post
    If you don't want to wait the prototypical amount of time to charge the train brake line, press SHIFT + Question mark (?) key to immediately charge the train brake air line. For the quick charge key combination to work, your speed must be ZERO and the locomotive power must be set to ZERO. If the throttle is in a power position, or the train speed is NOT ZERO, then the quick charging key combination will not work.
    Or like in real life release all the air of the auxiliary reservoir, in which I agree with Derek, in my opinion that is a function I really miss in the new braking system in open rails. I am a volunteer switcher at a local musseum line and releasing air from the auxiliary reservoir is such a big part of it, some engines we have don't use air brakes, so when we remove our Pullman from the train we need to release all the air from the auxiliary reservoir otherwise we can't move an inch. By the way at my museum line it is ussual the engineer is alone on the train (to few people) so in that case he must release the hand brakes/remove the shoes. Couple up himself and even throw the switches himself. So I don't find it to far fetched, though I admit there should be an "Automatic coupling" option for those who only want to work like the engineer on an actual railroad with enough employees.
    Last edited by railrunner112; 10-23-2015 at 03:39 AM.

You can in fact do all of those things in Open Rails. A study of the manual will help tremendously in this.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Thanks. That is exactly what I've been trying to do.
    http://tamthat.com/ cung cấp các sp nấm lim xanh - nụ tam thất bao tử chất lượng cao

Thanks. That is exactly what I've been trying to do.
    Cung cấp thảo dược Hoa tam that, cu tam that Hà Giang tốt nhất thị trường