Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How coupling works in Open Rails

Quote Originally Posted by charliechan2006 View Post
    Good Morning:

How about a tutorial on uncoupling of cars. If I want to uncouple one or two cars from a consist, do I set the hand brakes on the cars I am uncoupling and then uncouple the brake hose. If I do that then after I uncouple a few cars then I have to connect the brake line and release the hand brake from the cars still coupled. Is there a way to set the hand brakes on just one car?

Thanks for a great sim.

Chandler
    In North American Railroading, you would set the hand brakes on sufficient number of cars, then uncouple. The air hose/line will let loose automatically as the train pulls away, this sets the brakes on the cut of cars into emergency, unless you've closed the angle cock, which is not usually done although you might if another engine is coupled to the other end to move the cars again or it's in a yard.
    Mike
    Proud Supporter of OR
    Creator of YardMaster
    "Thanks for using YardMaster"

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    If you want to move the cars without air (which we used to do all the time in the yard), we can't.
    "Unstoppable".

BK
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Coonskin View Post
    Derek is correct:

On the railroad we can "bleed" off the air on a car (i.e. pull/push the "Release Rod" to vent the air reservoir, thus releasing all air-applied brake on that car) and let it free roll for kicking, gravity switching, etc.
    My crew does this all the time switching in the yard. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    I am only a fairly new user of OR but can say that the coupling and starting-off requirements as detailed by Chris really enthuse me about OR.
    Whether the job of setting and releasing handbrakes is the responsibility of one railroad employee or another is immaterial; the player is the only person sitting in front of his/her computer so the player has to change hats as part of the simulation experience.

Full marks to the development team for bringing us a little more realism.

BK
    What is this! What,you want to cut more jobs!!!D

Just new to OR... long time MSTS 10+ years.... steep learning curve. How do I reset the #3 rear of train view
    after uncoupling? The view continues to show tender of steam loco or rear of diesel and/or last car still attached
    to train?

I believe it's ALT + Home or End to reset camera after coupling
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Thanks will give it a go.

When in the sim press F1 and you will be able to cycle through various screens, one of which lists the key-codes.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Thanks for the tip. I have the directory of key codes on desktop but this makes it much easier.

There have been some major recent additions to ORTS's ability to model the behavior of the air lines in coupling and uncoupling. You can now operate the angle cocks on individual cars so that the air lines do not lose air when you uncouple; you can park cars with air sealed in their hoses so that you can pick them up again after dropping cars; you can uncouple cars that have had their air bled off so that they will coast in a hump yard.
    The current Draft 1.0 copy of the Manual (.doc or .pdf, dated December 2014) included in the weekly update download describes many of these new features. The topic "Initialize Air Brakes" in the Forum "Maybe its a Bug" on the Elvas Tower Open Rails forums contains a lot of discussion.

Sid P.
    Last edited by sidp; 01-05-2015 at 10:47 AM.
    Sid P.