Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: L&N Mainline Sub Update

Has any one had any luck finding the old rail bed North of the Pine Mountain Tunnel in Jenkins Ky.

I just saw this post which is now 6 years old, but finding the old rail bed north of Pine Mtn. Tunnel is easy on
    either UsaPhotomaps, if you still have the data for the area, or if not, it is almost as easy in Google Earth.
    I have done this track as part of my Big Sandy South route - one of at least 9 in my list of projects to do.
    In that particular case, I have all track, and most roads, done, but no fine detailing. Also, if a .tdb rebuild
    is attempted there are at least 4 locations where it will fail, mainly because of "loops", but I will leave those
    pieces open, until the final fix. Michael, if you see this, send me a private message if you need more.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

Halfway between Portland and Seattle in the Shifting Sands

Riney-B, Old Road(Maybe?) I'm excited to see what comes next.

The gentleman that was doing the main line sub. evidently never finished it. If he sees this, and does not
    have further plans for it, I would like to finish it, otherwise, it is on my bucket list to do it, as well as
    some other L&N subdivisions, but the mainline sub. is special to me. My late Uncle, J. Harry Eubank
    was a very high seniority passenger engineer when he retired in 1958, and passed away then 20
    years later at age 90. My father lasted to 96, so me being "only" 80 next month, maybe I will get some
    of them done. Uncle Harry vaccinated me with the "rail" bug when I was still in diapers and it is a
    terminal bite. 34 years on the Southern, FRA, and CSX. 16 years with a signal contractor, and now,
    God willing, I'll sign on to be a yard host at Chama, NM for 2 weeks next July.

My EK sub., which I have digitized, but not laid track or roads on yet, although I have set it up,
    extracted terrain etc. includes the Riney-B, and the Lexington & Eastern, but not the Old Road.

From here on, I want to use minimum detailing, so I can get the routes out there and then if
    anyone else wants to edit/add to them, they can do so if they just footnote me as originator.
    Currently, I am finishing up Don Karch's Mega route of Colorado to include Marshall Pass.
    To take a break occasionally, I am laying track & roads on my rendering of the Elk River
    Branch of the Milwaukee Road. This is basically a logging road out of St. Maries, ID, parts
    of which are still in operation today.

Old railroaders never die, we just "jump the track".

J. H. Sullivan

If anyone sees this, I did qualify as a docent at the Cumbres & Toltec this past July. Yard hosts are
    hardly ever needed, so I was encouraged to train for the on-train job and I did. Then I did one
    afternoon of yard host, and 4 runs on the train which qualifies me for 2 years except that each year
    I have to take/retake the safety test. This is a subset of the FRA tests I took for 21 years at CSX.
    Turned out to be tiring, yes, but fun - A LOT OF THAT.

Also, earlier this year, Nels set up a "incomplete" in the categories for incomplete routes and I will
    be putting routes there which have track correctly laid, and roads digitized. Others can have all the
    fun detailing them.

J. H. Sullivan

I'm glad you had fun. I hope you can advance on the L&N route.
    Hope you are doing well.
    Christopher

Well, here is the plan. I expect to "complete" the two Milwaukee Road routes sometime in November
    and put them in the "incomplete" category. Then it occurred to me that the Nashville Terminal was
    central to three routes I have in the bucket, so I will do it first, probably in some detail, might even
    issue it as a finished route although I challenge someone to do the Nashville station. It is in the 3D
    category of Google Earth and may be used with Sketchup. I would not try to detail Nashville, even
    though I grew up there, but I would include all the various industry leads that, at least, currently
    exist.

The 3 routes are the MainLine Sub., which, since I do not have the original work either, I would do it
    from scratch. The other two are the Chattanooga Sub., including around 200 miles of branches, and
    the Henderson Sub. which has a few significant branches into the W. Kentucky Coal fields.

Jerry

The Mainline Sub., L&N was never released to anyone, so I will do that from scratch, but I may do a nearly complete version of
    the Nashville terminal first as it is central to that, and 2 other routes "in the bucket".

Hi Jerry,

As a fellow steam aficionado - I can certainly appreciate the accomplishment - NICE !!! Sounds like a great way to spend the day... Enjoy...

Regards,
    Scott

Scott,

I had been out to the C&TS 4 times since the first trip in 2014 and last year, 2018 when
    out there with a friend, I had a conversation with the Docent coordinator (typically a docent
    with 5 years or so experience who schedules other docents and works himself if there is a
    illness etc.) and found that I had all the knowledge. Specification call it a standup job for
    7 hours and I was concerned about that but I spent 3 hours a week on a treadmill at the
    local "Y" to build up leg strength. The "school" took 2 days plus a check ride and then I
    voluntarily took 4 other rides with another docent, but I did all the work and he observed.
    Fun, you bet it is and as I like to meet new people, usher at church, etc. it was fun in that
    way too. The plan is to be there 9 days next May/June which will mean 4 or 5 trips (it is
    unusual do them every day, usually every 2 days) and then 16 days in October, 6-8 trips.

Jerry Sullivan