Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: L&N Mainline Sub Update

Quote Originally Posted by SPLIT VEIN View Post
    I do not have plans to do all of Queensgate. Just the southend where trains can be staged to head south or end a run northbound.
    The NS Gest street yard would be the same as there would be interchange on the loop track
    I have a desire to do the north departure yard of DeCoursey to do transfers in the Cincinnati area, L&N did transfers to many yards in the area. The intense urban area does scare me though on frame rates. I am trying to recreate the Cincinnati riverfront of the Eighties.
    I moved to Cinti in the early 1990s, so I'm not 100% clear on what the landscape was then. Was L&N still running trains across what is now the "Purple People Bridge" and interchanging at Oasis yard? That was the case into the Penn Central era.

Thanks

RGF

Rick, was the Purple People Bridge the CNO&TP (NS) bridge over the Ohio into Kentucky? or was it the C&O bridge beyond?
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Neither. There are seven bridges across the Ohio River in Cincinnati (not including the outer belt). Three of them were railroad bridges. Going west to east.

The CNO&TP Bridge (RR only - NS, ex SOU)
    The Brent Spence Bridge (auto only, I71-I75)
    The Clay Wade Bailey Bridge (route 27 and CSX, ex C&O)
    The Roebling Suspension Bridge (auto-only - Roebling's 'prototype' for the Brooklyn Bridge)
    The Taylor-Southgate Bridge (auto only)
    The 'Purple People Bridge' (originally two-lane road plus L&N - now pedestrian only)
    The Daniel Carter Beard (Big Mac) Bridge (auto only - I-471)

I have seen photos online of transfer freights between N&W, DT&I, L&N and PC, from Oasis/Riverside yards crossing the Ohio on what is now the purple bridge, with street running down Monmouth Street in Newport, KY, meaning there was rail service into the 1970s. I'm just not sure when it ended. I suspect that the CSX merger meant there was no need for the Oasis connection to Newport anymore. As CSX was formed in 1986, I'm guessing that it's possible that the line lasted into the 1980s.

Rick

Edit: FOUND THE PHOTO. Dated August 1981!: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...d=46437&nseq=1

and another http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=129404&nseq=3

and another http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=166117&nseq=7

Edit Again: WITH THE FOLLOWING COMMENT:
    "And that would be the Big Purple Bridge! Now every kind of traffic is abandoned on that bridge. It is all predestian on all three parts. Train traffic died in 1987 on that bridge. In the future Newport and Cincinnati will work a agreement to have light rail traffic. So far no word on it.
    Last edited by rfranzosa; 03-02-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Yes, I have looked at the O&K as well, and I also have the book "Ghost Railroads of KY", as well as the same book for Tennessee.
    It is slow, but one way I get it done is to recognise that getting the track right, with bridges, is my strength, whereas the
    "super-detailing" is not, so I generally release a good route, and if someone else wants to make it GREAT, then all I ask is to
    be footnoted as the original creator. Current, Lukas Lussar in Switzerland is combining two more of my Milwaukee Road
    subdivisions into one route which he will call the "RMD-West". In doing that he generally leaves what I have done, in place and
    adds his own details. Also being younger, he has made a number of trips to the US and one of those took him to the Pacific
    Northwest, where he drove alongside of, and photographed, a lot of the old right of way. Another thing is that most of my routes
    do not exceed 200 miles, and in the case of the four Milwaukee Rd. lines, they were less than 110 miles, being crew change point
    to crew change point, but I included the NP which is generally parallel. It is about 230 miles from Patio to McRoberts, but I also
    have marked in the Leatherwood Branch, all of it, though much is now abandoned, and the three branches near Hazard. I also
    will include the E&BV Sub. from Deane (end of the Rockhouse Sub.) to Beaver jct. on the Big Sandy Sub. Now as you probably
    know the E&BV and the Rockhouse, both served the mine at Deane, but did not physically connect until after the formation of
    CSX.

[QUOTE=rfranzosa;1737860]Neither. There are seven bridges across the Ohio River in Cincinnati (not including the outer belt). Three of them were railroad bridges. Going west to east.

The CNO&TP Bridge (RR only - NS, ex SOU)
    The Brent Spence Bridge (auto only, I71-I75)
    The Clay Wade Bailey Bridge (route 27 and CSX, ex C&O)
    The Roebling Suspension Bridge (auto-only - Roebling's 'prototype' for the Brooklyn Bridge)
    The Taylor-Southgate Bridge (auto only)
    The 'Purple People Bridge' (originally two-lane road plus L&N - now pedestrian only)
    The Daniel Carter Beard (Big Mac) Bridge (auto only - I-471)

The Clay Wade Bailey bridge is a separate bridge from the C&O sharing the same piers. The original C&O was where the Clay Wade Bailey
    is now. When the C&O built the new bridge next to the original. The C&O gave Kentucky the old bridge to convert to vehicular traffic,
    That bridge was demolished in the 70's and replaced with what is there today. L&N went down Monmouth street originally coming from DeCoursey yard and across to Purple people bridge to gain access to all of Cincinnati area yards. It interchanged traffic at Clare (N&W)
    Pendleton (Pennsylvania), Riverside (NYC) among others too.
    L&N got trackage rights across the C&O when CUT opened in the 30's. Monmouth street and the purple people bridge were abandoned in 1983. There was a sharp curve on the north side of the bridge where many a derailment happened. Plus the C&O is double tracked.
    By then Decoursey was shutting down and transfer runs were becoming a thing of the past.

Well Jerry if you go to Beaver junction, You might as well do the Long fork sub out of Martin Ky! Now mostly abandoned. Am I adding too much for you? LOL
    I think railroading in Kentucky is awesome! Big fan looking for abandoned ROW's and watching coal trains! Just dreaming about lines that could be duplicated in MSTS. The C&O Meade branch down the SV&E from Jenkins Ky through Pine mountain and over to Pound Va.
    is another.

Quote Originally Posted by SPLIT VEIN View Post
    Well Jerry if you go to Beaver junction, You might as well do the Long fork sub out of Martin Ky! Now mostly abandoned. Am I adding too much for you? LOL
    I think railroading in Kentucky is awesome! Big fan looking for abandoned ROW's and watching coal trains! Just dreaming about lines that could be duplicated in MSTS. The C&O Meade branch down the SV&E from Jenkins Ky through Pine mountain and over to Pound Va.
    is another.
    As a matter of fact, I inlcuded the Long Fork Sub. As for the Meade branch, it is easy to follow until it enters the north portal of
    the abandoned tunnel, but the Virginia side is almost impossible to trace. In my notes somewhere I do have a listing of the
    curves that I got off valuation maps a few years back. As you may know, the line only lasted a few years after its
    completion in 1947. Then the coal mine had mined through to the other side and that created Moss#1 on the
    Clinchfield which is now gone as well, although the Fremont branch is intact. I included that years ago when I did the
    KP sub.

Althouigh it takes time to do it, it is not hard to lay all those branches, much easier than getting a yard correct.

J. H. Sullivan

Jerry, You can see the row of the Meade once in Va. The south portal on Pine mountain tunnel is just off of Va highway 667 which is the old US 23. Some of it can be seen from US 23 on the east side of the road where the line turns north for a mile or so before turning east along Va 630 and then along Old mill village road where it has turned south to head on in to Pound. There is a large bridge end pier near a store at Pound where a curve that turns the line north. The bridge would have been where new US 23 and Business 23 intersect. I believe some of Va road T768 is on some of the old row. That road goes into Pound and uses an old thru girder bridge.
    I sometimes wonder if that thru girder bridge was a spur off of the branch. I have walked through Pound looking for the line from that bridge and can not find anything

I'll revisit that area. One thing I might look at is ending the EK sub at Deane, and doing the E&BV, SV&E, and other branches on a seperate simulation.
    I digitzed some of that a few years back and I still have it on backup CDs. Since you never know when seamless data will cease to be easily available
    or when USGS data won't be compatible with DEMEX, etc., I tend to look way ahead and gather the necessary data.

With the help of a couple of local experts, I am also traciing the Riney-B, and will trace the L&E and these would most logically be connected to the
    EK simulation. I try not to make my routes too large or complex as then any errors that crop up in database rebuilds just get nastier to find and
    fix. I have digitzed all the branches off of the E&BV including the Long Fork. You can see where mines once existed and there are some great
    "objects" for creating older, or more modern complexes, but so far there are few of the covered conveyors that you see at modern mines.

J. H. Sullivan

Coming from Clintwood VA on route 83, just before you cross Pound River, You come to a 4 way intersection, that was the crossing. The old rail bed has been converted to an automobile road. There is an old rail trestle on the right that crosses the river that has been converted for Auto use. It then follows it a couple of miles, then travels on past the farm supply down the river then breaks off around to the west then back south along us 23 then crossed near the Valero Gas Station, then works up and around to the north west, then back north to the Tunnel.

Now on the Left the rail bed traveled along the road until the three way intersection. turn left and you can see the old cut out under the hill in the curve then the old trestle on the right.

The photo shows the the 4 way intersection old rail line highlighted, to the left goes to mead fork, the right goes to Pine Mountain Tunnel.

Poundrailroad.jpg