Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lirr DM30AC for MSTS in production

WOW that's looking great!
    Drew
    Not a founder, president, moderator, captain, esquire or chief of any make believe railroad.
    http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/Drewster327/SPsig.jpg

Holy crap she looks great!
    Writer and Wolverine, among other things.
    Interested in railroad stories? Check out the Fiction vault:
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...82#post1882582

Nice! Did you get my pm? BTW, I hope to see some youtube updates
    Last edited by captain82; 04-16-2012 at 11:38 AM.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic75077_5.gif
    Cory Duguid
    US NAVY

Well, i cant get it to export. Flat out. GMAX instantly crashes when trying to export it. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by KurrasRailroads View Post
    Well, i cant get it to export. Flat out. GMAX instantly crashes when trying to export it. Any suggestions?
    Well, let me suggest.
    That problem seems familiar to me when I scale subobjects.
    I guess what you'll need is 'ResetXform' to reset its transform information, and at least keep GMAX from crashing for that.

Note 1 :
    That suggest may not work if the problem is not from the scale transform.
    the Second suspicion for the problem I think is 'Overpolygon'. If your model has over 15000~20000 polys, that crash may happen. (If it's right, reduce the polygons.)
    Note 2 :
    DM30AC/DE30AC engines was part of my plan to make MSTS train once.
    However, after I found It is NOT worthwhile to do that at all (for mostly extremely disappointing result compare to my effort.),
    I stopped that and now I making video games for Linux and Mac (and Windows).
    Anyway, That's Nice and nice job.
    and It comes to MSTS lot earlier that I thought.
    ... I'll be back to carry on.

It is at the upper end, 32500 polys. I think the trucks may need to be made simpler, they could be 7500 a pop

3DTS's P42DCs are already pretty high about 21,500 polys. I have seen no model out there with any higher poly count-not even Diesels West or BLW. Tradtionally bolsterless trucks, whether EMD or GE, are hard to model so there's a major obstacle. I'd recommend cutting down on the polys for the body itself by removing what you can-although I have a high-end computer I'm speaking on behalf of people who don't have a computer as capable as mine, an experience I had a lot of issues with while installing the 3DTS P42s on a 2004 Dell.
    Last edited by MP36PH3S; 04-18-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    Writer and Wolverine, among other things.
    Interested in railroad stories? Check out the Fiction vault:
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...82#post1882582

The body cant have anything removed. I can use simpler trucks, and remove the horn (which is accurate for certain models due to the horn being located beneath the locomotive) That may easily be able to shave 10,000 polys off, after that there isnt a terrible much i can do

Removing 10,000 polys should bring it low enough, as the 3DTS Superliners are just under 27,000. A frieght animation could also be used for the locomotives which do have the visible horns.

Also, if it was built in 3ds max, would it be able to be exported for Railworks 3 too?

If there is enough interest, i would like to start a donation page where donations could be made to give me the cash necessary to purchase railworks. I am on the verge of moving over to payware trains, but i am on the fence with it.
    This is an outline of the poly count
    polymaniac.jpg