Thread: Emd dd40x

Default Emd dd40x

I have recently downloaded and installed the EMD DD40X from the file library.

Many thanks to the creators of this machine, she makes a fine addition to my railroad.

But I have a couple of questions.

1) what is the purpose of the large yellow painted object on the footplate (if that is the right word ) above the rear bogie, just about in line with the handrail with the pointed top ? There is nothing wrong with the model, all the photographs of this class of locomotive on the internet show the same thing, so it is a permanent fixture.

2) No. 6918 has in addition to the normal bell and horn a siren fitted on top of the cab roof. What is the purpose of this siren ? Additional warning to pedestrians and vehicular traffic at grade crossings ? Warning to railroad employees in busy yards ? Just curious why EMD saw fit to fit a siren to this locomotive and no other and if it had a particular function to be used in special circumstances only, or was just an additional audible warning to be used whenever the engineer saw fit.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Steve Y; 04-15-2012 at 03:38 AM. Reason: grammar!

Well, to answer #1, that's the sand box.

Not sure about #2, maybe someone else could chime in about that?
    --Mike L.
    Rail Organizations I'm involved with:
    Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society
    Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad

The siren was a UP experiment -- used only to warn MOW workers in areas without grade crossing signals. It was thought that the oscillating pitch of a siren would have been more likely noticed vs. the steady pitch of a horn, especially if machinery was in use.

Only two units had them.

The sand boxes were located outside on the frame instead of the engine compartments because of issues on the DD35's where sand was being drawn/blown into the electrical switchgear.
    Last edited by eolesen; 04-15-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Ah ha !

Sand boxes eh ? That makes sense. Looking closely I can see what could well be filler caps on the top.

And that siren would sure get my attention !

Thanks for replying guys.