Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Reliance On DLC Revenue Now A Problem.

Default Is Reliance On DLC Revenue Now A Problem.

A recent EU Court ruling allows the resale of downloaded software with no proof that the original purchase is no longer being used.

Article at: http://forum.avsim.net/page/index.ht...-software-r406
    Regards - Dick
    i5 2500K$ 4.2ghz, GTX 750 2gb, 8gb of SkillFULL memory, A 700 watt power thingy, lots of cables
    Program to take screenie weenys from da puter. Bro, Dude, Man operator Murysville,Pa.

It's an interesting ruling. Not sure how this would affect RSC sales via Steam though as Steam are North American based and have a fairly blase attitude towards customer rights anyway.

However it ought to be relatively easy to produce a system whereby a product or DLC is deactivated on the user's PC if no longer used.

What I would like to see is some right on behalf of the consumer when DLC has not been of merchantable quality of some means to get your money back. As we know at present, the only recourse at present is a chargeback on your credit/debit card or Paypal which leads to Steam suspending your entire account. Like I said, they operate outside the normal boundaries of customer protection.

State of Florida allows the resale of previously owned software as well as copied previously owned software! Flea markets are full of it!

Yes, you need the law to read it on various possibilities. Maybe the US Dept. of Congress will have a comment sometime after the elections.

I have contacted a real estate agent in Florida to check on small store fronts for a lucrative resale business. Name will be
    Dump Your Junk - Software. Will also need an off-shore account to protect ill-gotten gains...
    Regards - Dick
    i5 2500K$ 4.2ghz, GTX 750 2gb, 8gb of SkillFULL memory, A 700 watt power thingy, lots of cables
    Program to take screenie weenys from da puter. Bro, Dude, Man operator Murysville,Pa.

I was, of course, speaking from a UK residents point of view. Steam is effectively offshore and not bound by European or UK law!

Piracy can not be prevented 100% and evidence of that is everywhere.

Software has always been re-sellable, relying on the previous owner to remove it from his computer. The same would have to be done if a user of software dies. His heirs have to do that then after moving it from his computer to one of theirs.

Downloaded from web sites and registered on-line software should be transferable.

Not sure how that would work with the Windows OS having to be re-activated every time it is being re-installed and other downloaded from them software. I can re-install the still used by my 1997 Word and Excel programs from their CD onto multiple 36-bit computers, having the CD's product ID !

But such programs having been registered with their vendors, seeking help from their support departments could be a problem, depending on the details of the using owner's computer details.

Years ago when I was still supporting my software with clients, the Police was one of and even they were caught using illegal copies of Microsoft software !

In the case of STEAM the current owner should notify STEAM who the new owner is, including a secuty phrase only he and the new owner know and the new owner having created an account with STEAM, if he does not have one already, then giving details of the previous owner which have to match those the previous owner has advised STEAM of, can then register the program on-line and STEAM accepting the re-registration then removes it from the previous owner's account so that he can not use it again.

What happens when an owner of downloaded from the web software, music of films dies and his heirs want to transfer it to their computers is a gray area which has been discussed on the Internet many times in the past.

But there again is a way to get round that, any seasoned software or system coder should be capable of, I am not going to elaborate on !

O t t o

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Steam are North American based and have a fairly blase attitude towards customer rights anyway.
    Sooner or later, either thru legal or political action (or both), that is bound to change...

So software now joins every other commodity - if I buy a can of baked beans at the supermarket I own it and can re-sell it if I want.

A sensible and common sense decision. Now what what about software (eg RailWorks, Windows, ... ) that needs some verification procedure? How do I on-sell this?

Back to the original question - but hasn't the over reliance by RailWorks on DLC always been a problem?

So does this mean that someone who is no longer using MSTS could conceivably sell me some discontinued payware items, such as Dekosoft or Streamlines items if they had them? On a related note, Half Price Books and GameStop have been selling software as long as I've been going in those stores.

I can't speak for other devs,

IHH sell a licence to a user ( an individual ) to use that software (unmodified ) within the game of railworks..... nothing more. You never own the software.

IE. I am selling permission to an individual ( non transferable).

Owning software is something completely different, which can be transferred, although in most cases the new owner will not have permission ( a licence ) to use it.

Sly