Thread: Route Editor Keeps Crashing!

Exclamation Route Editor Keeps Crashing!

My Route Editor keeps crashing! I need help!

Heres the story:

Wierd Part 1.jpg
    So we start off like this...

Wierd 2.JPG
    This is the route I am working on and hoppfuly be on Trainsim.com to download

Wierd 3.JPG
    My route starting tile.

Wierd 4.JPG
    And them this appers at a certen point!

Wierd 5.JPG
    I am not sure if it is the Lat. or the Lon. but I think thats a problem.

My goal is to lanch this route sometime in January-April in 2013 but its just keeps crashing and I don't know how to fix it!
    tgriebel; also known as "Stickmanstudoes"
    Creator of New York State Railroads

Railroads give off less CO2 than trucks and cars. They should be saved.

Do you have a sound source on your starting tile? If not, put any sound source on it.

John

Lack of a sound source won't cause that. Crashes within the RE are usually something to do with the TDB or RDB. Issues with a shapefile just throw up a nag box.

What I'd do... try changing your starting location in the .TRK file to another spot about three or four tiles away, and then attempt a TDB rebuild, but only if you have good backups of the route already.

The safer bet would be to try using TSUTils and Route_Riter to analyse the file structures.

Well heres the thing the editor crashes like at a Y switch. In my route, theres currenty just one.

Below: The arrow is pointing to the Y switch while the dot is the route Starting title (I got it close as possible!)

Wierd 6.JPG
    tgriebel; also known as "Stickmanstudoes"
    Creator of New York State Railroads

Railroads give off less CO2 than trucks and cars. They should be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by tgriebel View Post
    Well heres the thing the editor crashes like at a Y switch. In my route, theres currenty just one.
    Below: The arrow is pointing to the Y switch while the dot is the route Starting title (I got it close as possible!)
    The reason for the crashing is obvious in your pic of the AE map: You are installing tracks and interactive track objects, the signals at the same time.

You have effectivly corrupted the routes database files by installing signals with track . .

I thought they looked real neat too when I started the nec4 . . . and crashed it many, many times.
    Too many to count before I figured out the hard rule: NO INTERACTIVES until track and roads are complete.

You want signals? Use non-operational static ones. You can make them yourself from the signal shape files you already have.
    Just copy then rename the signal shape files, make a ref file entry and you got it!
    A static signal that serves as eye candy, but also a MARKER where you will place the real signal when track is done.

The ONLY possibility of repair are the TSUtils routines in Route_Riter.
    Be sure to read and understand the help files (seperate d/l) before using the repair routined.

Oh, there is another; restore the route from the last backup where there were no signals installed.

By the time I really started in building the nec4 I sometimes backed up every two hours of editing. Your mileage may vary.
    Thats how bad the RE was in '02 -'03 . . . and no test or repair routines either.

The RE is a wiley beast to tame . . . very little error detection and virtually no error correction. It's all on you, the builder.
    Enjoy!
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I received a route from a fellow in Tennessee that had some problems and he had already installed the linked objects. Fortunately it is a short route,
    about 60 miles, so the first thing I did was delete all the interactives and linked items. After doing that, a rebuild went quickly and successfully,
    but since the fellow also used individual trees, rather than forest objects, some of the tiles are really loaded and thus the rebuild does require
    approx. 10' to run. But the rule mentioned by Vince is ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY if you are to build a successful route. There are other,
    more insidious things that happen, but if you have not added the no-no items, a rebuilt is still possible, and often the best solution.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)