Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3DTrains: World Landscapes

That's a good idea, Dick. While variations to many of the trees would drive me batty, I think I can handle some tweaks to the conifers, especially tinges of brown and dead sections (ie: Bark Beetle damage).
    Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

Trees look good Marc. I will download them later. I'm already making extensive use of your other trees on my route. What I am looking for are Sumac bushes which are very common around here - the wild poisonous variety - have you any idea where I might find them?

The only ones I've found are images on the 'net for the ill-scented (skunk-bush) and three leaf varieties.
    Cheers!

Signature

Yes, I looked already. Hopefully someone will produce a good 3D facsimile. I'm way too low on the 3D modeling curve to tackle anything like that at the moment.

Some trees may be too bright.

I have noticed that some trees (overall general tree population) actually look better when changed to the darker green used to indicate a selection.

RS046.jpg

Trees used as bushes/weeds
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boleyd; 08-03-2012 at 07:02 AM.
    Regards - Dick
    i5 2500K$ 4.2ghz, GTX 750 2gb, 8gb of SkillFULL memory, A 700 watt power thingy, lots of cables
    Program to take screenie weenys from da puter. Bro, Dude, Man operator Murysville,Pa.

Hi Dick,

The Quaking Aspen was actually darkened a bit - I plan on adding more when I can find suitable images. FWIW, it's naturally a very bright tree. The Pepper Tree does look good as a bush though.
    Cheers!

Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    The Pepper Tree does look good as a bush though.
    Just one problem with doing that with Asset Block trees on uneven terrain, they can not be lowered.

B lowers the decal but does not what is on it at the same rate so that is stays aligned with the hill slopes.

Grass, weeds and bushes Asset Blocks can be used and will align properly to any uneven terrain they are on.

Can not remember whether I have attached this to my last e-mail to you. Are some of these trees a bit on the small side compared with others ?

O t t o

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    Just one problem with doing that with Asset Block trees on uneven terrain, they can not be lowered.
    Nor can anything else attached to the Asset Block.

Can not remember whether I have attached this to my last e-mail to you. Are some of these trees a bit on the small side compared with others ?
    The trees are proportional according to their size when photographed, and many not as fully matured trees. The Giant Sequoia, for example, is based on a relatively young tree - perhaps 100~150 years old - yet a fully mature specimen may reach heights of 350' or more and be in excess of 1600 years old. The Coast Redwoods are another extreme example. The ones in the package are 30', while a mature tree will easily exceed 250'~300'. A good number of other trees in the pack are fully mature, however. I may be able to tweak the sizes of some conifers so they'll blend in better with some of the default, but I find in many cases RSC is off quite a bit in their plant size and proportions.
    Cheers!

Signature

Increasing the size of the Coastal Redwoods x3 appears to be OK with the high-res textures, making the trees closer to a moderately mature size (120' or so) - I'll try the low-res stuff to ensure the trees don't look stupid. I'm also testing some tall Douglas Firs and a few ideas on 3D pines based on some of those found in the pack. I'll add 'em in if successful.
    Cheers!

Signature

Thanks, Marc !

Your vegetation reminds me of my bud Mike Sinclair, I could not persuade to convert his many MSTS creations for use in Railworks, some of them now have been by GreatNortherner.

Are all your trees the kind with rotates to face the viewer or are there some which are true 3D no matter where they are viewed from ?

Something else that can not be done in TS-2012 as it can in MSTS is that when you raise the terrain then everything on it does not stay on top of it's surface and a patch has to be circled and then all that is inside it re-aligned with J, which will also raise other than vegetation objects inside it !

In the case of Asset Blocks it's decal has to be selected and then it's content re-aligned to the changed terrain with J !

O t t o